Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barri Gothic Area in Barcelona Safe? Pickpockets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of staying at Hotel Neri in the Barri Gothic area of Barcelona. We will have to walk with our luggage to hotel. Is this area safe? Is it safe at night? Will we be safe to go Bar hopping in this area? Safe to walk back from Las Ramblas at night? Any info appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Instead of a general NO, I would say: "Be bloody careful!"
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Barcelona is the worst place I know off in Europe for pickpockets. Both my husband and I and my in-laws were robbed (on two separate occasions). Do go, since its a fabulous city, but follow baldrick's advice; be bloody careful!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:57 AM

I just stayed at the Neri in October - great hotel. I loved it. Getting there on the cobblestone roads with luggage was a bit of a pain - we got lost and felt uncomfortable bc we were carrying so much stuff - and it was the daytime. Neri staff is more than willing to send someone to help you with your luggage when you get there, just call them from a pay phone and let them know your location. I wish I would have done this.

At night, we went out every night and came in late - don't take a purse or valuables and avoid flashy jewelry - and you should be fine. Just be cautious and keep your eyes open. Don't venture into random alley streets - the Plaza the Neri, directly next to the hotel, is a bit scary. No need to go there.

I would recommend, stay away from Las Ramblas at night. That was truly where I felt by far most uncomfortable - that I was being watched by pickpockets, and I was there during the day. There are good restaurants really near Hotel Neri (find them in the daytime and go at night, that is what we did) - check out another thread on Hotel Neri which I made restaurant recommendations.

Overall, I had no problem staying there. As a matter of fact, I would stay there again. Just as when you are traveling anywhere, be cautious.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Not just pickpockets but muggers, one of few places in Europe threat of physical attacks high. Take helpful hints above.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:23 PM

So true PalQ; my mother in law had to have hospital treatment after being dragged through the street by a mugger in daylight.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:55 AM

Okay, time to take a time out and a deep breath. I'm sure these people may have had a bad experience, but for every person who has had the bad fortune of being mugged or robbed, there are many more who have not.

I recently returned from Spain and found Barcelona to be wonderful. Moreover, the Ramblas and Barri Gotic were perfectly safe and interesting to explore. Granted, I live in a large city and may have learned some techniques to stay safe.

First, if you look like a tourist, you will be more of a target than a resident, correct? Therefore, if you walk around this area at night, leave the camera at home and take your pictures during the day...I find nighttime is the best time to try to blend in. Also, make sure pockets are buttoned and zipped, which will remove any reason to worry.

Second, do not wear exceedingly bright colors...that's not to say that you have to dress like a ninja, just dress casual (as if you were leaving your own apartment for a stroll to the market). The one thing I observed in Barcelona is that EVERYONE wears jeans.

Last, which I think is the most important, when you walk, act like you know where it is you are going, even if you don't know! If you stand looking around for street signs and point in many various directions as if you are lost you will be a target. Therefore, I suggest that you stop in a cafe, order a beer or coffee, and figure it out before you leave. (and by the way, whereever there are large amounts of people standing around to watch some of the street performers, that is also where you become a target for pick pockets). Being from a large city, I see that stuff all the time, and so I just walk on by.

Just have a great time!! I sure did.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM

We just returned from 17 days in Spain, and I never once felt afraid or threatened. I even walked alone down the Ramblas in Barcelona at night while my husband was nursing his blistered feet in the hotel. I am very conservative in my dress and carry no outside purse. I learned my lesson 25 years ago in Seville where I was mugged and dragged down the street during siesta time when I wore bright colors and carried my large Italian leather purse over one shoulder. I never let go of my purse (which contained my passport and all my $$), and the two kids on a motor bike apparently got tired of dragging me down the street and went on their way-- laughing like lunatics!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 03:06 PM

We were in Barcelona two weeks ago... and since my husband had his wallet lifted in Rome the pickings were pretty slim! However, we encountered no problems. As New Yorkers Barcelona is a "little" city to us. But I suppose we are on the alert like big city dwellers learn to be. It is a wonderful, beautiful city. Just use common sense and all should be well. (Also, taxis are cheap and plentiful when you're tired of walking.)
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Sadly, I was the victim of a bag-snatching in the Barri Gotic in July (a block from our hotel). We had been in the Spanish countryside and I was not as careful as I usually am. However, the amount of violence used to grab my bag, and the clear way someone had been watching for just the right moment, was unsettling. My daughter chased them (another horror story!) but there are so many alleys in that area it's impossible. We met so many people at the police station with the same story! And that was just one night. And in the consulate the next day, the number of really tragic stories there was amazing (especially airport and taxi snatching). The worst part is, the thief managed to use my check card even though it was closed for another 2 months, wreaking havoc with my bank account, although everything eventually got settled. I loved Spain, but I think Barcelona has a real problem with theft (as do other European cities such as Rome, to be fair). I would go back, but not for awhile.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM
JonJon

the only place I've ever been pickpocketed in Europe was in Barcelona..on the Metro..but that was because I was not using my moneybelt.
I would retrun to Barcelona in a heartbeat, would stay, as I have in the past, in the Gothic Quarter, would always use my moneybelt.
Being "bloody careful" sounds as much like good advice for LONDON as it doesn't for anywhere else and it is unfortunate that it contains very little, if any, real valuable informatgion, such as "in what way" but just GO to Barcelona and use common sense...you'll never regret it.

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM

JonJon
I agree that "Be bloody careful" is not very informative, but answering NO to the original poster would have sounded a bit bizarre, no?

I spent 5 days in Barcelona visiting the City and going out during the evening in the Barri Gothic. We noticed various scenes of very agressive begging for money, and 2 mugging scenes, one of which with the victim on a stretcher.
I think that info from previous posters is very clear on mugging, begging, snatching.

It is also rather obvious that Barcelona is the only city on Fodors which is very often the object of complaints in regard to these problems.

And furthermore, I don't think that these victims were all tourists without common sense, do you.