Reload this Page >

Bargello-Florence & Borghese-Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Gigi

We are wondering if it is worth a special trip to see the Bargello in Florence and the Borghese Museum in Rome, since we have been to both of these cities on other occasions. We are planning on visiting Venice and then going on to these cities for these museums or to see another city or country where we have not previously visited, like Athens & the Greek Isles or Vienna.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Paige

If that's the ONLY reason you'd go to those cities instead of Greece or Vienna, I'd say no, it's not worth a special trip. I love the sculptures in the Borghese but not more than a trip to Greece! The Bargello is nice, but IMO, not the highlight of a trip to Florence.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:39 AM
elaine

for me the Bargello WAS a highlight, but I couldn't tell you not to go to Greece and see some of the islands instead. If you want to go back to Rome and Florence by all means go, but go for more reasons than one 2-hour museum visit.<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Gigi

Thanks for your comments. I didn't mention that we'll be traveling with our 4 1/2 yr. old child. We're trying to find out how much walking is involved to get to the Acropolis and the National Archaeological Museum and which island might be best in Greece. So, if this is doable, we may take this as the second part of the trip. We're also considering Vienna for the Kunsthistorisches Museum. We'd like to know if this is as worthy a museum as the Bargello and Borghese Museums. The travel time from Venice to Vienna is more than to Florence and Rome combined and if we stay in Italy, it could be easier, etc.-- and we could wait for another time for Greece, although we'd really like to see it. Comments/viewpoints from people who have been to any of these places appreciated.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:46 AM
richard

Do the Borghese---if for no other reason than to see the Bernini sculpture. His talent is amazing and they show a lot of it there. The museum is packed with great stuff. You only get 2 hrs. on reservation but you'll be filled to overflowing in that time. Then stagger a nice walk over to the Guilia museum for a terrific dose of Etruscan. E-mail for more details-just returned from 2 weeks in Rome. Oh--do Ostia Antica for a tremendous romp in great ruins, which after the hustle of Rome is being in sweet and fragrant country side-and gormet Italian dishes at the museum cafeteria yet! Why am I here when I could be in Rome?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Gigi

Richard- thanks for your response. Could you give more of the details of your trip on this page? Also, where is Ostia Antica and what's the best way to get there?