Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barge Trip with children? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barge-trip-with-children-536644/)

bussrsf Jun 14th, 2005 10:06 AM

Barge Trip with children?

We would like to plan a barge trip with our two young daughters (5 & 7) for next summer. Do any of the barges allow for family accomodations? The girls are too young to put in a cabin by themselves. Also, are children accepted by the other passengers? Our daughters are very well traveled and love the different experiences, but I do not want to put them in a situation where they will be made to feel unaccepted. We would prefer to do a barge with service provided and not do a self barge trip. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Eloise Jun 14th, 2005 10:18 AM

You "do not want to put [your daughters] in a situation where they will be made to feel unaccepted."

But you do not care, it would seem, whether the adults on the barge experience a less restful vacation due to the presence of two young children in what are pretty tight quarters. Your daughters may be "very well traveled and love the different experiences," but they are children. And children talk more loudly than adults, demand more attention than adults, want to move around more than adults. Need I go on?

nytraveler Jun 14th, 2005 10:28 AM

A couple of thoughts -

How well do your daughters swim - unless you will hang onto their hands at all times you need to consider they wil fall/jump overboard (most of these barges are not large and there can be very little room to maneuver)

Will your daughters be happy with quiet play for so many hours each day - naturally they can play on land once the barge docks - but the barge itself won;t allow for active play (this is why so many bus tours don't take children that young - they are unable to and/or not happy to sit quietly for so long at a time)

I know sometimes you can bike along the tow path - but your girls are really kind of young for that

It seems a very quiet/subdued vacation for kids so young

bussrsf Jun 14th, 2005 10:32 AM

Eloise -

No thanks for your unkind and ignorant response. Obviously we are concerned for other passengers and would not want to cause an issue for anyone. Our daughters travel better than most adults. We would not be asking the questions if we were not trying to fully understand the implications.

I am looking for actual information and not criticism for traveling with children. Luckily, we have ignored previous "cranky" comments and the children have become excellent travelers.

Eloise Jun 14th, 2005 10:40 AM

Bussrsf:

Have you read NYTraveler's message?

It says the same as mine, but in a more politically correct fashion...

lucygirl Jun 14th, 2005 10:44 AM

Wow...moo.

Hang in there bussrsf, someone will help you. :)

ira Jun 14th, 2005 10:48 AM

Hi buss,

As noted, there is not that much to do on a barge as you putt along at about 3 mph.

You have to consider how you will keep the kids occupied.

Otherwise, I see no problem.

((I))

crefloors Jun 14th, 2005 10:50 AM

Wow is right. bussrsf: have you checked with any of the companies that run these trips to see IF they have any age restrictions. That might help clear up at least ONE of your questions. It's too bad you got some of the responses that you did, but perhaps if the companies say for example, no children under 12 or something like that, then the rest of it is a mute point. It does sound like a fun trip, so good luck with your research.

danielb661 Jun 14th, 2005 11:50 AM

I have seen many hotel barges, and they all seem to be 'seniors only'. I'm 57 and I feel like I'm too young for a hotel barge.

I would urge you to reconsider the self drive option. There are frequently young kids on self drive barges and they always seem to be having a marvelous time.

Gretchen Jun 14th, 2005 12:21 PM

I am not clear if you are thinking of a "hotel" barge or the smaller more charming ones. But children of the ages of yours need more activity than you can get on a barge, in my opinion. It really seems to me that there are many better alternatives for travel. And I would be a bit surprised if children that young would be allowed. The danger factor is quite real also.
As for accomodations, I think cabins are all 2X2--and probably not adjoining with a door--at least that would be true of the barge we were on.