bargains in Europe?

Search

bargains in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bargains in Europe?

I'm sure this subject has been discussed before. But in your opinions which country is a combo of great things to see and do,beautiful scenery and a "bargain" priced compared to say Switzerland.I heard people say various Eastern European places...
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Portugal. One of the most beautiful and interesting countries in Europe and definitly one of the least expensive. Spain is a close second.

France and Italy have a wide range of prices - some rural areas are quite inexpensive (alot of Sicily for example). Also, due to the type of food, the lodging options, etc. you can do both those countries quite inexpensively if you choose to. You could also spend a bundle if that was your style.

While large cities are often considered to be more expensvie than small towns, the range of lodging and food options means that I've found you can actually do them for less in a lot of cases. This includes cities like Paris (quite affordable) and London (usually considered expensive).

The only countries in Euorope that I found really hard to be a budget traveler, that I felt were less of a "value" were Scandinavia and Switzerland - but they were still well worth the money, it just took a bit more money than other places.

ANY where in Europe is a bargain in my book. I'm currently planning a trip in the US Southeast and finding it much more expensive (for the same level of comfort/convenience/etc).
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I agree...in general though, I say stay away from the big cities and get off the beaten path a bit and the prices may surprise you by not being TOO bad for example...in Rome, it costs about 100euro for my fmaialy of three to eat a decent, but simple meal...in some parts of Southern Italy, we can eat that same meal for about 25 Euros (!) big difference for somewhere only a few hours drive away.

I think if you do your research, you can find bargins everywhere (relative ones anyway). Easten Europe has gotten more and more expensive lately and I haven't been in a few years....but it certainly was worth it and interesting and beautiful if that's where you want to go.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Portugal and Greece.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

I guess that's why alot of people have retirement/vacation homes in Portugal...My German cousin keeps his boat in Croatia..I guess it's true if you don't want to go there it's not a bargain....
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM

"..I guess it's true if you don't want to go there it's not a bargain"

yes THAT's what I was trying to say...too late for me to just get to the point as well as that though!