Bargain Alert - 2-for-1 Travel

Aug 19th, 2001, 09:16 AM
arjay

Bargain Alert - 2-for-1 Travel

Just heard yesterday that Swissair has a great deal going - two for one to Europe, and from there to anyplace else they fly. Only hitch is that you have to use a Mastercard. Good October thru Feb 02, I think. Some details can be found at savvytraveler.com and probably a lot more at the Swissair site, which is wher I'm about to head...

Aug 19th, 2001, 01:25 PM
jr

Here's something for those who fly Continental and have some extra cash floating around: open an account with Credit Suisse First Boston (www.csfbdirect.com) online with a deposit of $5,000 (must remain in account for 6 mos) and earn 15,000 miles. (On their homepage, click on the left sidebar under Special Promotions to see the details of the offer.) Valued at $.02/mi, it beats the pants off a 6 month CD...

Aug 19th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Robin

Arjay,

Sorry but it's not a real bargain as far as I'm concerned. The offer you're speaking about is offered by both Sabena and Swissair. It's only offered on a particular class of coach and it was one of the more expensive classes. I think if you're able to get the cheapest class of coach on Swiss Air, it'll beat the pants off this Mastercard offer!

Here's what I was quoted about a month ago. I was checking prices for a flight at the end of September and returning in mid October and my dates were pretty flexible. I was looking for a flight from Boston to Nice and then Paris back to Boston. I was quoted roughly $1300 for the first person and the second was free. That's $650.00 per person. When I was looking online I could get flights for around $500-$600 per person so that's no bargain. Even the agent I spoke with had to agree. The one use it has is that it is an upgradeable fare where the cheapest class of coach is not. If you plan to book this and then use miles to upgrade it's not a bad price.

Aug 19th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Robin

One more thing....

The Rudy Maxa travel website has an article about how to get into Business and 1st class for less.

The article is called "Taking a seat in the front of the plane".

http://rudymaxa.com/article.php?articleid=48

Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Ann

The bank next to my office was running a "deal"--deposit $5,000 and get 2 free tickets to Europe or Hawaii. Looked interesting. THEN I got to see the fine print--to qualify for the free tickets, you had to stay for 6 nights at one of the "chosen" hotels. Hardly a deal. Things that seem to good to be true usually are.