Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Barcelona's best budget hotels" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelonas-best-budget-hotels-912225/)

ira Nov 15th, 2011 04:30 AM

"Barcelona's best budget hotels"

From the Telegraph
"Barcelona's best budget hotels

Barceló Raval

The Barceló is a bold architectural statement in Barcelona's edgy, multicultural Raval district, with funky, retro-flavoured rooms and spectacular views.

Average room rate

£142"

166E/nite is "budget"?

Is this for real?

((I))
Who is planning to visit Barcelona

Padraig Nov 15th, 2011 05:52 AM

You need to consider what the readership of the Telegraph is. For them, £142 per night is slumming it.

suec1 Nov 15th, 2011 06:44 AM

I know a hotel (that I think is quite nice) for a better price in an area I would think was preferable but I'm not telling! It amazes and depresses me when I see the costs of many of the hotels in European cities that I hope to re-visit. At least the internet gives us access to research and hopefully discover reasonably priced hotels or apartments.

danon Nov 15th, 2011 07:57 AM

parts of Raval are not the place to be.

kappa1 Nov 15th, 2011 08:15 AM

Above € 100 is a generous budget for me. I'm most of the time a budget traveller and pay for Barcelona central hotels of 2, 3* around € 40 - 70. In December before Christmas, my 2* hotel, 2 min walk from Plaça Catalunya costs €40. In January I have a reservation at a "hostal" that's 8 min walk to Plaça Catalunya and that cost €44. I have stayed there once and the room was not tiny, with a big bed + a large bathroom with tub. Much better than some "hostals" i stayed long time ago. I found it a great value for the price. I could undertand these places cost quite a lot more during the fair seasons. The hostal has the aircon so would be ok for mid summer as well.

Continental_Drifter Nov 15th, 2011 09:57 AM

We were able to snag the Renaissance (Marriott) at the airport for FREE using our Marriott Rewards certficate nights earned last spring. Watch for this deal... Stay two stays and get a free night.

We got two rooms for two nights at concierge level on this promotion.

Parking was FREE in front of the hotel and the Renaissance has a shuttle that makes several trips per day round trip (15 minutes at most in traffic) into the city with stops at Plaza Colon and Las Ramblas.

One we considered was Hotel California for its location.

lincasanova Nov 15th, 2011 12:30 PM

Good to know about the marriot shuttle.

Dukey1 Nov 15th, 2011 12:49 PM

I know a hotel (that I think is quite nice) for a better price in an area I would think was preferable but I'm not telling!

Oh, now THIS is wonderful...are you afraid we are all going to RUSH right over and swamp your favorite little place to stay?

Do get over it

lincasanova Nov 15th, 2011 01:08 PM

Yes.. well said, Dukey1. Why would anyone even post that and share that you aren't going to share this great information. ??

qwovadis Nov 15th, 2011 01:17 PM

centripointhostel.com coolest cheapest Gaudi building for me

Meridien Barceloneta from $70 betterbidding.com best price

Tonnes of great stuff if you know what you are doing...

Business CCS like Marriott can get you up to 6 nights free

then simply close I do that a lot works great...

qwovadis Nov 15th, 2011 01:19 PM

eurocheapo.com/barcelona no bid budget site

barcelona30.com too

not really much cheaper than priceline.com bidding for me

Amazing value there...

qwovadis Nov 15th, 2011 01:21 PM

www.centricpointhostel.com great for the younger party folks

Lots of cheap great hotels around Guell Park also.

ekscrunchy Nov 15th, 2011 01:26 PM

I don't think that that price is so far out of line for a Barcelo 4-star in Barcelona. Whether you want to pay it is another story. However, I checked random dates for stay spanning weekday and weekend, for next month, and got a rate of 93 euro double superior; 109 double deluxe.

That neighborhood might not be my own choice, but then again, not a bad location by any means.

Recommending fairly high-priced venues and dubbing them "budget" or "inexpensive" is nothing new. Depends on the readership demographic, as stated by Padraig above. Try reading Conde Nast Traveler for "moderately priced" recommendations!

Continental_Drifter Nov 15th, 2011 03:58 PM

suec1 - "I know a hotel (that I think is quite nice) for a better price in an area I would think was preferable but I'm not telling! "

I'm sorry if this comes across as rather curt, but why did you bother to respond to this post? And why, prey tell, are you posting on a travel forum?

Not only that, but when I find a hotel I love and is a good value, I promote it as much as possible. I want them to stay in business and prosper so that I can return some time. I'm sure your hosts at your secret hotel would appreciate your recommendation also!

ekscrunchy Nov 17th, 2011 02:50 AM

Come to think of it, the OP is often touting the Bonaparte Hotel, a Parisian two star, which charges from 130-165 e for a double w/o breakfast.
http://www.hotelbonaparte.fr/ang/reservation.php

By that accounting, the new 4-star Barcelo Raval is a great value, even at the 165e rate listed in the Telegraph, not to mention the actual rates, which are much lower, as I've noted above.

IN any case, there are plenty of decent hotels in Barcelona that cost far less than the Barcelo.

smithgardner Nov 17th, 2011 05:56 AM

I am visting Barcelona for the first time in January, and I am staying at the Hotel Banys Orientals in the Born neighborhood. The room is only 105 euros per night for double occupancy. From what I read, this hotel is a great bargain considering its prime location near the Bari Gotic and the Picasso Museum. You can only book a room via email, though I did hear back from the hotel within 24 hours.

Christina Nov 17th, 2011 06:18 AM

exactly, that is a very good value for a 4* hotel in Barcelona. That publication knows its readership and it is a budget hotel by those measures. Furthermore, Having just been there, I know that hotels in Barcelona are not cheap, they cost more than in Paris, for example, it seemed to me, for the same level of accommodations in a prime area.

I don't know why this is so alarming given the Bonaparte comparison, I agree. That hotel is pretty expensive for a 2*.

suec1 Nov 17th, 2011 06:35 AM

please excuse me, I meant the phrase "I'm not telling" to have a playful tone. I try to be part of the "get along gang" on this board, there are certainly enough fiesty posters.

I have actually recommended the hotel, Hotel Regencia Colon, to several posters who where ASKING for a hotel - this post did not. I meant my comment to speak to the topic of "budget hotel" which IMO 166E was not. And I don't understand how several of the comments posted after mine really were on topic of budget hotels. OK 'nuff said.

danon Nov 17th, 2011 07:09 AM

I don't find hotels in central Barcelona more expensive than central Paris ...especially 4 star hotels.

Continental_Drifter Nov 17th, 2011 09:04 AM

Fair enough. No harm done!