Barcelona. Where to stay, what to do?

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 12:50 PM
Kevin

Barcelona. Where to stay, what to do?

We have two days & nights in Barcelona before boarding a cruise ship. Timeframe: mid-May. In what part of the city should we stay, what are some good hotels? And what should I not miss given the limited amount of time?

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 01:03 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Be sure to do some Tapas Bar hopping. Just wander through the gothic quarter near Las Ramblas and pick any place with a decent crowd (this is usually an after-5 thing) Then order a beer and choose a couple plates of what ever looks good at the bar. The key is not to over-order so you'll have room for the next place.
Don't miss the Sagrada Familia. Many think it's beautiful, many think it's monsterous. Be sure to climb up in the turrets for a great view of the city.
The Bus Touristic is a great hop on/hop off service that goes by many of the largest tourist stops.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 05:23 PM
elvira

Catalonia is the Spanish sparkling wine region (Freixenet is the famous one in the U.S.) so if you're not a beer drinker (!) you can order 'champagne' in the tapas bars. There are lots of buildings by Gaudi (the Sagrada is the worst/best of all...you're right, Brian, it's a matter of "taste"). There is a terrific Picasso Museum. Shopping is fun (the Catalan are very snappy dressers); Monserrat (about an hour's train ride from Barcelona) is worth a visit (if you're not acrophobic). The "Olympic Village" is interesting. Nearby is a bullfight ring but I don't think you're there during the 'season'.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 02:30 AM
Juan

Personally I adore Antoni Gaudi's architecture and for me it's *the reason* to see Barcelona. See the Casa Mila and the Parc Guell too for sure. The Joan Miro museum is better than the Picasso one IMO.
Be sure to drink a real horchata (not at all like those in Mexico.....there are horchata bars in Barcelona that are great and just make horchata....regular bars have it too).
Be careful of pickpockets in Barcelona especially near the Ramblas at night. See the bizarre musical neon colored fountain at night. Stay away from the bullring...that's a horrible bloody so called "sport" that is not very popular in Catalan areas anyways.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Juan, what is a "horchata"?

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 10:19 PM
Juan

Horchata is a sweet drink made from the roots of a plant called sedge. It's a delicious white creamy sweet drink that is served cold. In Mexico they made a very poor substisute drink they laughingly call the same thing that's made of rice. Don't drink that one. That one is also a bottled drink...horchata in Barcelona is never bottled but always fresh.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 11:31 AM
Merriem Wombacher

Just came back from Barcelona on Monday. It was fantastic! We loved the Hotel Claris. Great location, you can walk almost anywhere, and taxi's are reasonable. We found it to be very safe, and the people delightful. The Hilton and Intercontinental are way out in an area that would require you to take a taxi. Stay in the main area. If you want info about the Claris, you can check them out under the search, Small luxury hotels of the world. We got a great rate to 26500 pts including a delightful and elegant breakfast. It was for the weekend. I have only seen this low rate on that web site. You won't be disappointed.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 10:32 AM
michele

Loved Barcelona...stayed at the GRAN VIA..good location ( walk to Ramblas and Gothic Quarter) less than $100, atmospheric..
Do a search on this forum for good tips on musuem and site seeing tickets. Don't miss the Palau de Musique ( spelling)

Have fun... try AGUT D'AVIGNON for a lovely lunch or dinner ( expensive?--$100 for two at dinner with wine) very elegant.Regional dishes and decor.