Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona, what to avoid! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-what-to-avoid-883147/)

Robert2533 Mar 22nd, 2011 02:03 PM

Barcelona, what to avoid!

Automatic Currency Exchange ATMs, or DCC on steroids! It seems that several banks in the touristic areas are now offering this new service! Great if you don't mind a terrible exchange rate and a service fee of 2%.

alanRow Mar 22nd, 2011 02:25 PM

Is it optional?

Robert2533 Mar 22nd, 2011 02:27 PM

Just stay away from these ATMs and you'll be fine. The problem is that many people don't pay attention and get taken to lunch...

BigRuss Mar 22nd, 2011 02:41 PM

WTF is an "Automatic Currency Exchange" ATM and how does it differ from a regular ATM?

Robert2533 Mar 22nd, 2011 10:51 PM

It uses the DCC to calculate the exchange rate for all foreign debit cards, plus it adds a fee of 2% to the total. It's a total rip off and should be avoided unless you don't mind paying for something you don't need.

kappa1 Mar 23rd, 2011 03:08 AM

> WTF is an "Automatic Currency Exchange" ATM and how does it differ from a regular ATM?

Robert2533, or anybody from Spain (if such atm can be found in BCN, there are more in the whole spain, aren't there?). How can we tell the difference?

I might ask this on tripadvisor BCN forum too. Maybe the answer is already there.

I travel to BCN a few time a year and this is new to me, ok, I don't use ATM much there.

lincasanova Mar 23rd, 2011 03:14 AM

Is it stated on the ATM or is there anyway way to recognize this type of ATM?

kappa1 Mar 23rd, 2011 03:19 AM

> I might ask this on tripadvisor BCN forum too.

I just did it. So I'm waiting for clarification from both forums. I'm very curious because as I said I travel to BCN a few times a year and now I want to be forewarned.

Dukey1 Mar 23rd, 2011 03:28 AM

and here I thought this was going to e a thread telling eople that Las Ramblas isn't "the real" Barcelona!

colduphere Mar 23rd, 2011 04:11 AM

Going from memory here but last summer we had several ATMs in Barcelona ask us if we wanted our transaction to be processed in US dollars. Since we are Canadian and wanted Euros, we presssed the WTF (No) button.

That was the end of it.

Cowboy1968 Mar 23rd, 2011 04:24 AM

If you google "DCC ATM Spain" you will find numerous threads on this topic, most dating back to 2008 when this was introduced.

Locals will hardly know if one ATM got the DCC option built in or not as no one from the Eurozone will see that option pop up. All our transactions will be handled in euro anyway.

As cold said:
The simple solution (also stated in those press articles) should be to hit the "NO" key when prompted "Press YES for USD/GBP/XYZ or NO for EUR".

kappa1 Mar 23rd, 2011 05:27 AM

I'm not in Eurozone even though I'm often in there, France, Italy, or Barcelona. My account is in CHF so I may stll get the choice of DCC on ATM. Now I feel forewarned ! Thank you.

Are all Spanish ATM do this or not?

ita Mar 23rd, 2011 12:37 PM

I don't understand why someone would want U.S. dollars instead of Euros when in Spain. i think there was also this option in Israel. Thanks for the warning. All I have to do is press no to receive Euros. I am assuming that there is English on the ATM.

lincasanova Mar 23rd, 2011 01:17 PM

It's not to receive the dollars but it is to calculate them at a different rate than you would get if you pressed NO and pressed Euros.

colduphere Mar 23rd, 2011 01:39 PM

Yes there is English on the ATM.

Robert2533 Mar 24th, 2011 02:42 AM

It's just another scam to catch the tourist off guard, and only in certain sections of Barcelona. It all started in Spain with the Bank of Santander's ATMs a couple of years ago and has now spread like a cancer. You should be able to avoid it by using ATMs outside of the main tourist areas.

El Corte Ingles is now asking if you want the charge in Euros or your own currency, but some restaurants in the tourist areas of Barcelona are not quite up to speed on the issue and will charge your card in your home currency and tell you they have no choice. At that point you can pay in cash.