Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard of Rosetta in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:01 PM
Shirley

I am trying to locate a town in Italy in which my grandfather was born and I believe that the name was Rosetta or something similar. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:26 PM
need

Do you know what part of Italy this town is in?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:11 PM
Carol

Shirley, I have never heard of this town, but that means nothing, since you probably never heard of my grandparents' little towns either. <BR> <BR> I'm just guessing that it must be in southern Italy (including Sicily) because that's where most Italian immigrants to the US came from. So I looked up my map of southern Italy and found the following: <BR>Rosello in Abruzzo <BR>Roseto Capo Spulico in Calabria <BR>Roseto Valfortore in Puglia (I think) <BR>Rosito in Calabria <BR>Do any of these towns or regions ring a bell? In Sicily I didn't find anything that sounds really close to Rosetto (but did find Rose, Rosolini, Rosse, Rosso -- not close enough?). While I was at it, I also checked the central Italy map and found Roseto degli Abruzzi. <BR> <BR> In case you're interested, the maps I'm using are orange Michelin maps of Italy: #431 for southern Italy mainland, #432 for Sicily, #430 for central Italy.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:39 PM
abc

Maybe Paulo knows something? (He always does.)

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:56 PM
cmt

If you ever read this you should mention whether any of the above towns is "it" or whether you finally found it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:08 PM
Shirley

Carol: Thank you for your info. I will check with my mother to see if any of these towns rings a bell. I appreciate your help and will let you know if I find the one!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Shirley

The town would be somewhere near Faeto and I understand that many people from this town of Roseto settled in an area of Pennsylvania.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:54 PM
cmt

Hi, Shirley, <BR> <BR> Faeto is in Puglia, so the town you're looking for is probably Roseto Valfortore. I checked www.google.com and found a few websites about the town, including one that explains (in Italian) how to get there. Now you can write to the town and ask for information. That's always fun; I written away to about 8 little "roots" towns (3 of "mine", the rest for friends) and have gotten responses from all but one, have visited the one in Sicily already and will visit one in Basilicata in a few months. If you can't figure out how to contact the town, you can contact me by e-mail and I can help you figure it out(I don't do it "by the book" but whatever I do seems to work.).

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:19 PM
cmt again

Topping so you'll see this <BR> <BR>P.S. You need a Michelin orange #431 map (or similar map of another publisher).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
rosemarie Sorge(Sorgi) Garman

It took me until 2 years ago to find the town my father and his family came from. It was misspelled on my birth certificate and even on one of the Ellis Island documents.Phonetic spellings by Americans trying to understand Italians not too familiar with English I guess. If you can locate the area or a big town that should help. My town was Cample in Teramo area of Abruzzi...it was spelled Campuli in Ceramo.It was not on most maps.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:44 PM
rosemarie Sorge(Sorgi) Garman

It took me until 2 years ago to find the town my father and his family came from. It was misspelled on my birth certificate and even on one of the Ellis Island documents.Phonetic spellings by Americans trying to understand Italians not too familiar with English I guess. If you can locate the area or a big town that should help. My town was Cample in Teramo area of Abruzzi...it was spelled Campuli in Ceramo.It was not on most maps.Try the Ellis Island site and you may be OK

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Rosemarie Garman

We just rec a new LARGE map of Italy and I see a Roseto on the Adriatic Coast in Abruzzi.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Joe

I checked Google as well and found this for Roseta PA: cousins who were outstanding leaders in the American community of Roseto, Pennsylvania,<BR>named after their hometown, Roseto Valfortore, Italy. The book captures ...<BR>http://www.genealogybookshop.com/gen...ily_Histories/ FH110.html

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Shirley,
I was looking for something else in Italy when I saw your post. My grandfather and his family came to Pennsylvania from Roseto Valfortore, Province of Foggia, Region Puglia in the early 1900's. What part of Pennsylvania did you relatives go to?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you just missed Shirley, she checks in every ten years in February