Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Barcelona to San Sebastián and back, where to go
Notices

Barcelona to San Sebastián and back, where to go

Jun 15th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona to San Sebastián and back, where to go

I have decided to include a few days stay outside of Barcelona when I go visit my son while he is studying abroad. I was thinking of Mallorca but am now focusing on San Sebastian. We prefer to drive (if feasible) and would like to spend 3 or 4 nights in SS or enroute. Is there a route that could include a wine region? Can anyone recommend a stop or overnight recommendation? I would like to try to find a parador but I am traveling in a few weeks and will have to take what is left accommodation-wise. Fwiw, our entire trip to Spain is 9 nights.

Thanks for any insight; this is a last minute trip that could not be planned much in advance due to some health issues for husband which had to be resolved. So any assistance as I try to pull this together much appreciated.....):
Jun 15th, 2013, 06:59 AM

I would fly to San Sebastian/Donostia and then a rent a car see the sights of the NE corner of Spain which I think is more interesting than the ride from Barcelona to Donostia.

Donostia is a busy summer getaway and finding a room maybe difficult this late.

There are no paradors in Barcelona or Donostia but in the surrounding areas. They were originally established to encourage tourism outside the larger cities.

http://www.paradorsofspain.com/paradoresbyregion.aspx
Jun 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM

The Parador in Hondarribia (20 minutes from San Sebastian) does have availability in mid- July, but it's a bit overpriced at more than €250/night. It and the Parador de Granada are the two most expensive in the system. The Parador's official website is http://www.parador.es/

If you are thinking about going there (flying or driving), accommodations should be available at most hotels in San Sebastian between the 7th, when the Donostia Cup ends, and the 24th, when Jazzaldia, the San Sebastian International Jazz Festival, begins.

If you want to drive from Barcelona to San Sebastian, with a stop over in the Rioja wine region, then you can head for Laguardia. The drive takes about 5 hours. It’s another two hours from there to San Sebastian (www.laguardia-alava.com). Depending on your budget, there are some very good options in the Rioja Alavesa (Basque Rioja). See Maribel's Guide to the Rioja for her recommendations (www.maribelsguides.com).

As noted, if you do opt to fly into San Sebastian, you can rent a car and drive down to the Rioja, but you do not need a car in the city. Parking is a real pain on most days. There are only two direct flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian, one in the early morning and one in the late afternoon/early evening. Everything else goes through Madrid.
Jun 15th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Great info, just what I needed, thanks!

Search this Thread