Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   barcelona to Perpignon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-to-perpignon-606816/)

berkeley02 Apr 10th, 2006 06:37 PM

barcelona to Perpignon

I will be staying in Barcelona for a couple of days the last week of June, and wonder if a drive to Perpignon is worth the trip with my family (two children 12 and 17).Afterward, we plan on driving to Marbella to visit with family. Any recommendations on a sleepover stop on way to Marbella ?

kenderina Apr 10th, 2006 06:44 PM

No, it doesn't worth at all. It's almost a 3 hours trip and another 3 to come back.
Alicante can be a good stop on way to Marbella.

Neopolitan Apr 10th, 2006 07:54 PM

Personally I think Collioure which is closer would be a more worthwhile trip than Perpignon, but with only a couple days in Barcelona, I think I'd stick with the many things to do and see there.

lexluther May 23rd, 2006 10:36 AM

I have been to both colliour and perpignan. I took the the train from Barcelona to Perpignan and then rented a car to go to collioure.

I would definitely recommend coulliore. Not much to do there but what a beautiful place to stop for a day and a night.

Maribel May 23rd, 2006 02:03 PM

I agree with kenderina and Neopolitan,
I would spend your two days sightseeing and getting to know Barcelona (there's so much of interest to see!) , particularly with a family.

We've done Collioure three times now, but from a base much further up north, closer to the border. And part of the magic of Collioure for us is accessing it via the serpentine-as-they-ever-come coastal roads from Cadaqués. Now that's a memorable, one-hairpin- curve-after-the-other, drive-of-a lifetime journey!

The fishing village and Fauvist haunt of Collioure, for me, is far more attractive and memorable (although packed with visitors in summer) than the city of Perpignan, but I would save it and the rest of French Catalonia for another journey.

I'm also with kenderina on the sleepover.
I would spend the night in Alicante, (and absolutely, if your date happens to fall on June 23-24, or in and around the "hogueras de San Juan")

blackduff May 23rd, 2006 02:30 PM

Although I'm a big fan of Collioure, it's not reasonable when you're going towards Marbella.

Maybe take a drive up to Girona and have a look. If you have time, go to Figueras and the Dali museum.

Save visiting to Collioure and Perpignan on another trip to Europe.

Blackduff

lexluther May 24th, 2006 03:08 AM

While coullioure is worthwile you will be going far out of your direction to see it. You are better off driving south along the coast and stopping somewhere between Barcelona and Marbella. I have not been to Valencia but it is midpoint. Also Alicante as a previous poster suggested

keldar May 24th, 2006 04:11 AM

Hi berkeley:

I would agree with the others that perhaps with all the other things in and around Barcelona you would be best to leave Perpignan for another visit. It isn't quite the 3 hour drive mentioned, it took us just under two hours but I still would say there are better places to spend your time.
While in Barcelona maybe a day at the beach in Tossa de Mar would be good for the kids. I like the Mar Menuda beach more than the larger one in Tossa. It has a nice smaller area with secluded and safer entrance to the sea which might be good when you are travelling with a 12 year old.
If you want an interesting drive, leave Tossa de Mar along the coastal road towards St Feliu de Guixols. It is a great drive high above the sea. Head towards the Greek and Roman ruins at Empuries for a great history lesson then walk the boardwalk to St Marti. It's a cute little village above the sea with great pizza restaurants for lunch.
If you want a memorable trip with the kids head by car to Ribes de Freser then take the scenic cogwheel train up to the Val de Nuria. At the top are fabulous Pyreneean vistas, great hikes and walks and a hotel and restaurants. It's a skiing village in winter and it is also a religious retreat for some but we have stayed here 4 times now for a unique and special overnight. I am sure the kids would love it even if you just go up for the day.
Other places that you might think about are a day trip along the Salvador Dali trail taking in Figueres, Cadaques, Port Lligat and Pubol. The city of Girona is great for history and present day shopping. Also Montserrat, Besalu, Olot, Tarragona are all interesting areas in Spanish Catalonia.
If you are in Barcelona on a Sunday go into the square around the cathedral to watch the locals dance the Sardana. It's an interesting custom that will be interesting for you and your children.
You can't do it all but you won't have trouble finding things to do.
enjoy

Intrepid1 May 24th, 2006 04:22 AM

Do you think your children (and you) might enjoy a day trip up to Montserrat? You can do it totally by public transport (rail) and that would include the aerial tramway ride up and back.