Barcelona region: places to explore?

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Frank

Barcelona region: places to explore?

We're thinking of a trip to Barcelona in early April. (1) Anyone have any favorite places to see in that region (Catalonia)? (2) Any idea how long of a drive it would be to Grenada from there?

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Rex

1. Seu d'Urgell, and on your way there, Montserrat (though I have never been to the latter). Girona/Figueres and the Dali estate is also a popular day trip choice. See http://www.dali-estate.org/eng/fmuseus.htm for more info.

2. Well over 800 km (500 miles - - see www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com for specific driving info) from Barcelona to GrAnada (note your misspelling, in case you were trying to search this forum or the internet for Grenada, which is that little island where we had a military operation a few years back!) - - the highways are good, and you can drive it at high speeds, but it is still a long way.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Frank

Thanks, Rex. I appreciate the info and will check out the sites. I also appreciate the spellling correction -- I imagine a drive to GrEnada would be more than the average rental car could handle! Even Granada seems a bit far. Gracias.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Gregory

Frank,

I would recommend Montserrat on a good day.You can get there quickly by car or by train and cable car. Once up there there is a fair amount to see plus you can get a further cable and explore the mountain.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Pedro

There are many places that you could visit from Barcelona:

In the Costa Brava route: Mar i Murtra botanical gardens, the picturesque town of Tossa de Mar, the medieval Pals, white-washed artist colony Cadaqués or Sant Pere de Roda monastery with its stunning views and ruins.

Montserrat range and monastery: famous religious centre among an amazing rocky chaos, not far from Barcelona.

Poblet Monastery: art and architecture in a quiet setting.

Tarragona: Important roman ruins. Gothic cathedral.

In the Pyrenees: Nuria Valley, nice ride on a train up the valley. Magnificent mountainous landscapes.
Cadi Range and Llobregat river source, nice rugged landscapes. Medieval Besalú and the extinct volcanoes of La Garrotxa.
Aran/Bohí Valleys offering some of the greenest landscapes in Spain, beautiful romanesque churches.

Gerona: Its narrow streets full of character, the colourful houses facing the Onyar stream and the imposing Cathedral well worth a visit.

Morella: One of the most picturesque and interesting towns in Spain. Its wonderful setting, walls and castle make of it a perfect base to explore the isolated, authentic, rugged and quite beatiful in April Maestrazgo Region.

Sitges: romantic seaside town. Beautiful old village.