Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona - recommend a hotel in Las Ramblas area

Oct 21st, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking to visit Barcelona for the first time around the time of the grand prix next May and have been told that Las Ramblas is a good area to stay in for sightseeing.
You lot seem well travelled on here, can anyone recommend a decent budget hotel?
Also if anyone has any idea of the best way to get from the city to Catalunya circuit, please shout up.
Thanks.
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:59 AM

Dawn, try an apartment rental instead. There are MANY to choose from but Primerorentals (out of GA) offers great service. Otherwise, google for 'apartments for rent in barcelona' and you'll have your hands full. They're the best on a budget. Good luck.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks Brady. I must admit I hadn't thought about renting an apartment. I'll take a look.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:58 AM
Intrepid

If I were going I would stay at the Colon and request a room which overlooks the square in front of the gothic cathedral. This location is a very short distance from Las Ramblas...but would work for you only if you want to stay in a hotel rather than in an apartment.

Oct 25th, 2003, 07:34 AM

We were walking by the Colon in mid-september, and just on a whim steped in to the desk and asked for a rate card. A "double with 2 people" was 220 euro a night. I suppose it might be cheaper if you use a travel agent who hjas an agreement with them. Just thought you might like to know the price.
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:04 AM

I spent one night in Barcelona before boarding a cruise of the Med during the summer of 02. We stayed very close to Las Ramblas at Hotel Calderon. I'm sorry that I can't tell you the rate we paid as it was a package tour. It was a pleasant hotel, clean, comfortable, and probably reasonable in price. It is in the NH group of hotels. "Hotel NH Calderon Barcelona" is its complete name. They have a web page.