Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona pickpockets targetting the Olympics (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-pickpockets-targetting-the-olympics-943334/)

hetismij2 Jul 18th, 2012 09:19 AM

Barcelona pickpockets targetting the Olympics

Hardly surprising news, but an interesting article and film - which shows how quickly and easily they steal stuff from you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18798792

Maybe Barcelona will be just a little bit safer while the Olympics are on. Or maybe not.

Rastaguytoday Jul 18th, 2012 09:31 AM

Fascinating, but they are mostly Romanians.

Dukey1 Jul 18th, 2012 09:36 AM

Does anyone really care what country they are from?

Viajero2 Jul 18th, 2012 09:51 AM

Yep Dukey, that was an odd remark-- when your wallet is gone does it really makes a difference where was the thief born?...really.

You still can keep Barcelona....

Aduchamp1 Jul 18th, 2012 09:56 AM

They must have long arms.

Shanna Jul 18th, 2012 09:58 AM

just today's global economy

suec1 Jul 18th, 2012 10:45 AM

Well its nice to hear that London is being pre-emptive about them - Barcelona certainly doesn't have the reputation of trying too hard to stop the problems there.

TonyBishop Jul 18th, 2012 01:29 PM

"Barcelona certainly doesn't have the reputation of trying too hard to stop the problems there."
Barcelona is a city with 3 million inhabitants. Do you mean all 3 million?

PalenQ Jul 18th, 2012 01:34 PM

"Barcelona certainly doesn't have the reputation of trying too hard to stop the problems there."
Barcelona is a city with 3 million inhabitants. Do you mean all 3 million?>

well of course locals don't like it but it's the authorities that are to blame for not trying hard to enough to stop what may be along with Madrid Europe's biggest street crime scene with not only pickpocketing but violent muggings.

TonyBishop Jul 18th, 2012 01:38 PM

PalenQ, unless you are the alter ego of suec1, I do not think you are in any position to reply to my question.

Viajero2 Jul 18th, 2012 10:46 PM

TonyBishop-- you are posting on a public forum, YOU are in no position to dictate who can reply or not to your comments.

BTW, in reply to your comment, anybody with an ounce of brain understand ""Barcelona certainly doesn't have the reputation of trying too hard to stop the problems there." to be in reference to those running the city.

TonyBishop Jul 19th, 2012 04:13 AM

Yet another alter ego. Yes, I know I am posting on a public forum. And, no, I am not trying to dictate who can and cannot reply.

However, it should be abundantly clear that my question was aimed at suec1. He was the one who used the name "Barcelona" as if it were a person.

colduphere Jul 19th, 2012 05:06 AM

Why not make pickpocketing an Olympic event? Each country sends their best to London. A gold medal to the winner, though the medal would likely be stolen within minutes by the silver medal winner.

This post is not directed at anyone or any country in particular. All replies welcome.

lincasanova Jul 19th, 2012 06:29 AM

I hope the majority of them don't come back EVER. And I further hope our legal system changes SOON to be able to do what the British will be doing to them.. throwing them in jail. At least that would be progress.

Why do you think Spain is a haven for them? We have the friendliest criminal judicial system in the Western World, IMO..

Aduchamp1 Jul 19th, 2012 06:48 AM

Why not make pickpocketing an Olympic event?
_____
If the Chinese participate, you would just love for some 12 year old girl to stick her hand in your pocket.

(I think most people will see this as a hostile, but I know you will understand.)

PalenQ Jul 19th, 2012 10:35 AM

If pickpocketing were an Olympic event I'd bet on Romania to take the gold!

<TonyBishop-- you are posting on a public forum, YOU are in no position to dictate who can reply or not to your comments.>

hey hey Tony - if you want to censor folks and decide who can and cannot comment get your own web site and forum or else let the discussion process continue without throwing barbs and intimidating folks.

Capiche?

suec1 Jul 19th, 2012 10:45 AM

I'm wondering if I really want said posters to be my alter egos! is that like split personalities? For some reason I seem to annoy Tony - I'll have to lay low on the threads he is posting on until he is bounced out of Fodorville.

TonyBishop Jul 19th, 2012 11:23 PM

No, suec1, you do not annoy me. Life is far too short to get annoyed with people like you.

However your posts, and failure to acknowledge your error, on Jul 18, 12 at 11:31pm onwards on this thread tell me a lot about you.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment

TonyBishop Jul 20th, 2012 12:50 AM

"I'll have to lay low on the threads he is posting on until he is bounced out of Fodorville."
Don´t worry your little head. I´m leaving this forum under my own steam.

lincasanova Jul 20th, 2012 04:11 AM

Ah come on.. everybody.

It's hot. We're losing buying power fast. Don't quibble over nonsense and let's all try not to offend each other.

I think we all have valuable opinions/suggestions.. but no sarcasm.. no offense and we're good to go.