Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona or Valencia for a weekend at end of June

Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be driving from Marseille to Alicante over the weekend of June 23. We originally were planning to go as far as Barcelona for 2 nights but we have been encouraged to go to Valencia instead. (This would also be right in the middle of the America's Cup in Valencia.) Any feedback on which would be better for our first visit to Spain? Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations, etc.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM

i canīt imagne driving through barcelona and not stopping.

i also canīt imagine driving through valencia and not stopping, especially now to see a bit of the americas cup park and regattas, along with the historic district, of course and science center.

so.. see how you can do both.

you will need to sleep on the outskirts of valenica probably to get good rate at hotels those dates.

see www.gtahotels.com,
www.rumbo.es,
www.easyjet.com

also, valencia is just two hours from alicante by toll road.

you may also want to stop at www.montiboli.com for a coffee at this lovely place in villajoyosa ( 30 min. north of alicante)

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM

I know both cities and both are beautiful. But Barcelona, of course, has more to offer in terms of museums and attractions.

Of course, you can see both. But it will do them more justice if you spend two nights in one city than rushing from destination to destination.

If in doubt, I would prefer Barcelona.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM

as far as museums go...

i dare say that valencia has become the museum capital of spain for a city of its size.

it boasts a very high level of interesting historic buildings converted into state of the art museums by professional museum planners.
(our history museum, museo MUVIM, IVAM and XXI and La beneficiencia and La Biblioteca in San Miguel de los Reyes,for example).

then take Bellas Artes, which some say is only second to the prado on a national level, the Lonja Silk Exchange ( world heritage buildng ) the patriarch church museum, museo de cerámica, etc. etc.

one could not visit all the museums here in a few days. not to mention the science center and aquarium complex.

so.. barcelona is great. but those who have the time to actually delve into this charming city of valencia should not be disapponted.

But it is a bit like Lisbon. You need to do your research as it is spread out and around a very large area.

Barcelona is much more cosmopolitan, and always will be, than valencia. However, the extreme contrast of old and new is intriguing, i find, in valencia.

The fields and its workers are still within a mile or so of the city center, and one can find simple co-operative tilling and planting a bus ride away.

Apr 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Gee I hate to say it lincasanova, but we did not really care for Valencia. I guess I need to see it thru your eyes, but at first glance it does not come across as an attractive place. Maybe it is more thrilling with the America's cup, as we were there last fall.

Our few days there were not pleasant,yet we love Spain. I think we will have to give it another shot. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Barcelona is different than any place in Spain, but a popular spot, so between the two I would stop there ( but don't think it represents Spain so well). We are here now and enjoying it and the near by beach towns. There is magic here.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:02 AM

maybe valenciaīs charm is not apparent unless one spends more time to go into these places and admire the renovations done to so many historical buildings.

like i say... it is somewhat hidden, and does have a lot of UGLY residential architecture... but there are so many quaint corners..

the americaīs cup makes it more exciting for ME since it certainly i is a change in our routine here! and the new area is quite nice, but i am certain any tourist would enjoy and feel good about having seen the following, at minimum, :

la lonja
central market
bellas artes museum
cathedral and basilica area
roman excavations
museo de cerámica
science center and opera house
history museum
original university from 1492 next to the Fabulous Patriarch Church and museum

admire the gorgeous huge wooden doors in the old section that opened to let high carriages in the courtyards of these palatial homes

paddle boat at devesa gardens,or boat ride on canals near la albufera, starting at El Palmar

golfers would marvel at a round at El Saler Golf Course

and of course we have Sagunto nearby to the north.

so.. there is plenty to do, but it does take time and doesnīt GRAB you visually like so many other cities..

(which is a shame)

if you come back, please contact me. i am not sure i can sell you valencia but i promise to show you a good time and my favorite places!

p.s. by no means would i skip barcelona.. but i wouldnīt drive around the by-pass and skip valencia, either,even for an afternoon.

Apr 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Your first visit to Spain?
Choose Barcelona of course
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM

Who "encouraged" you to go to Valencia and why might be helpful to know.

I would hate to see anyone who has never been to Spain miss out on Barcelona and I suspect others might say the same for Valencia.

Apr 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM

i agree totally not to miss barcelona.

if you are staying for awhile in alicante, you can even come up to valencia for a day trip.

but then, donīt miss guadalest and altea.!!

so much to see. only you know what type of places you like to hang around in.

with little time you need to be selective. good luck planning.
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Valencia -- because you can see its highlights in two days (though not everything lincasanova mentions). Save Barcelona for a separate, longer visit at another time.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Yes, you of course make perfect sense , lincasanova and I will try to contact you the next time we pass thru Valencia because I do want to understand it better.

I recently went to Fez and my first reaction was a negative one, but the next day I toured it with someone who loved loved it and explained the history and what he loved and of course seeing it thru his eyes made a huge difference.

Some places are more "hidden" and take a warming too. I did not even fall in love with Spain immediately or even my sweet white village, but it grows on me more and more.

Not every place can be Seville ( which I did fall in love with immediately).Sometimes some people need a little time and a little education.

Its true too that I did not have much time to spend there nor time for much research.We got lost and were based at devesa gardens which we did not care for. I did want to see that fabulous modern science center!
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

curious how things go.

i sent some foreign friends to sevilla after i had just celebrated a birthday there and had a lot of fun. ( this was about my fifth visit, but we always seem to find something new with the help of internet, now)

they came back lukewarm, not too interested it seemed.

i never questioned it.. but i always wonder what makes a place grab you or not.

there are those places that are obvious and spectacular to everyone... then others, for some reason, just donīt live up to expectations!

if you ever do get back this way.. do keep in touch.

i have proposed several gtg's here but no one seems to be around at right time!

Apr 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM

p.s. i think the OP has disappeared!