Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona/Lisbon/Marbella (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-lisbon-marbella-1654342/)

Orion Jun 9th, 2018 04:18 AM

Barcelona/Lisbon/Marbella

Flying into Barcelona, we have decide to visit Lisbon for a few days and then down to Marbella for a week before returning back to Barcelona for a few days. I was thinking about flying from Barcelona to Lisbon, spend a few days then flying to Seville, renting a car for a week and then flying from Seville to Barcelona. Thoughts?

PalenQ Jun 9th, 2018 06:24 AM

Sounds great! If you are flying Seville to a flight at Barcelona airport - otherwise fly open-jaw into Barcelona and home from Seville.

PalenQ Jun 9th, 2018 09:20 AM

Best of course to fly into Barcelona - Seville and fly out of Lisbon or v.v.

Robert2016 Jun 9th, 2018 10:45 AM

Itinerary

Barcelona-Lisbon-Sevilla-Barcelona doesn't make sense travel time wise. As already noted, Lisbon-Sevilla-Barcelona works, no backtracking and wasting a day on travel.

Orion Jun 9th, 2018 10:50 AM

Thank you very much PalenQ and Robert.

We have already booked our trip in and out of Barcelona. The Portugal leg was an after thought. Upon doing a little research, I am now thinking about catching another hop down to Seville, renting a car and exploring the southern part of Portugal for four days, end up in Marbella for a week, then returning the car in Seville and return to Barcelona for four days. We will catch one night in Seville on both sides of the trip upon picking up the rental car and dropping it off.

Any recommendations, must do/see's on the southern part of Portugal? We typically spend about four hours a day driving and exploring villages etc... when in Europe. We usually go to either France or Italy (and have explored Catalonia before), but have decided to head south this trip.

We are in our early sixties, fairly fit, although my wife has had both knees replaced (one last August and one in March), so no mountain climbing LOL.

Thanks again.

Robert2016 Jun 9th, 2018 04:24 PM

The Algarve

Depending on your dates, southern Portugal can be very busy during the summer months.

PalenQ Jun 10th, 2018 10:39 AM

Southern Portugal - Algarve is not the finest part of Portugal but some nice cities like Lagos and Tavira - I'd suggest driving around Andalucia may be more whatever.

dmitriyrg Jun 10th, 2018 10:47 AM

I lived in Barselona. Great city.

Orion Jun 10th, 2018 11:19 AM

Apologies, I just realized I did not include the travel dates which are Oct 18 thru Nov 4. We will explore Andalusia during our week stay in Marbella. Tavira looks like it may be a candidate for a home base.

kja Jun 10th, 2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 16744069)
We will explore Andalusia during our week stay in Marbella..

One week is very, very little for Andalusia, particularly if you plan to include any time in Marbella.

PalenQ Jun 10th, 2018 01:30 PM

Marbella is not the most convenient base for exploring the classic lures of Andalucia. Maybe spend another week in Seville/Cordoba area?

Orion Jun 11th, 2018 02:55 AM

PalenQ,

Thank you very much for your recommendation. We will consider that option.