Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona: La Sagrada Familia Threatened?

May 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Just heard a report on Antonio Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia temple being threatened by the tunnel of the new high-speed train line being built within 6 feet of its foundation - the final link of the Madrid-Barcelona high-speed rail line with speeds of up to and over 200 mph expected.

The final part involves a long tunnel under Barcelona to the Franca train station down near the sea and town centre. The tunnel was routed by the church because that was the only way it would not run under houses...

because perhaps of an embarrasing aspect of the city's underground metro line where boring caused a whole city block of residential buildings to collapse. Church officials are warning of the possibility of a similar catastrophic development here.

The scheme has been given the go ahead by the current local government though current elections have all parties decrying the project after a storm of protest. Yet it goes on.

Of course the church is still famously not finished and is a work in progress - after all Gaudi himself was want to say "God is in no hurry" - ironically Gaudi himself was run down by a tram train crossing a street and this has been taken as an ill omen regards the new train line bringing his church down.
May 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

The report also said that 10 km down the tunnel from Barcelona cracks have indeed been reported and have even damaged nearby dwellings - while the construction company pleads guilty they are refusing to pay proper compensation.

so though studies say the church has little to be afraid of - church experts say even cracking in the foundation could bring the whole thing down.

Sounds kind of alarmist to me.
May 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM

not alarmist at all. barcelona has had more than its share of collapsing buildings due to either tunnel drilling or gas explosions.

so, i can understand their concern.

May 30th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I read about this in an AP article in the Boston Globe a couple weeks ago.

What I wonder is why Barcelona officials aren't doing more to protect La Sagrada Familia. Like it or not, it IS a big tourist draw to Barcelona. I went to Barcelona specifically to see this and the other Gaudi works, and the site is packed with people the entire time it's open. It's just peculiar to me that it isn't recognized as the gem that it is. I guess its sordid past and the national dislike for Gaudi himself are the culprits.
May 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Or perhaps the scientists and geologists are right - there may be no real danger to the church in spite of the city's checkered record with other such problems which no doubt raises the public alarm.

I too am a Gaudi fan - especially Parc Guell and Familia Sagrada and hope nothing goes wrong but kind of have a faith in that this must have been studied to death to prevent a worldwide embarrassment a cracking of the church could provoke.
May 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM

"national dislike of gaudí"?

donīt know where you would get that idea. i have never had that impression.

what made you come to that conclusion?
May 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM

I've read quite often in my research, and indeed even on this board, that Spaniards "roll their eyes" about Gaudi and how we schlepp over there to look at his architecture, which they barely tolerate. I was actually surprised to learn when I got to La Sagrada Familia that many of the people working on the construction ask to do it as their last job before they retire because they consider it an honor.
May 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Why can't they just terminate the high-speed trains at a more conveniently located terminal instead of digging under anything much? This doesn't really make sense budget- or time-wise on this much-delayed project. Just my 2 cents...