Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona Hotels-which one? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-hotels-which-one-491502/)

JIW Dec 19th, 2004 12:18 PM

Barcelona Hotels-which one?

I have found these hotels at decent rates for my dates in Oct,05. Any info re: which is better? Locations, etc?

Rialto Hotel or H10 Raco Del Pi or Laietana Palace?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

JIW Dec 20th, 2004 10:35 AM

ttt

cshellen Dec 21st, 2004 03:49 PM

I haven't stayed at either, but I checked Tripadvisor.com for reviews. Looks like people either had disastrous stays at the Rialto Hotel or really good ones (lots of thefts for one hotel), Raco Del Pi did better, and Laietana Palace was only okay. Search for your hotels there and read the reviews... they're usually fairly accurate, though you'll find the occasional curmudgeon.

I'm about to take my first trip to Barcelona in a couple of weeks and was told to stay at the Hostal gat Xino by a friend of mine... we'll see if that pans out!

Diz01 Dec 22nd, 2004 12:26 AM

I stayed at Raco Del Pi this year. Small clean rooms with small baths; good breakfast; friendly staff most of whom also spoke English. Felt recently renovated.

Most appeal is the location. It is on a street with shops but is pedestrianised and after the shops shut (around 8.00pm) pretty quiet for the city centre. Based in the Gothic Quarter so loads of interesting bars, shops and restaurants around.

Beacause no cars are allowed down the street you take your chances on whether a cab driver will drop you at the hotel. If not it is a 3 minute walk from The Ramblas and the hotel was able to arrange a pick up direct from the door.

Myer Dec 22nd, 2004 06:07 AM

I'm not sure what your price range is but we stayed at the H10 Placa Catalunya.

Hotel was very nice, breakfast was excellent overlooking the Placa. Right across from el Corte Ingles, busses, subway.

Right beside the Ramblas and Eixample.

JIW Dec 22nd, 2004 09:55 AM

We'd like to find something for about $200 USD/night or less if possible. And something in the Gothic or Eixample area and close to public transportation.
Are we being unreasonable with those expectations?

Thanks again

Myer Dec 24th, 2004 10:07 AM

As I just wrote we stayed at the H10 Placa Catalunya. Directly on the square at the 'border' between Eixample and the Ramblas. The center of town.

Gaudi's works just 5 minutes to the left. Ramblas 1 minute to the right.

Gothic area 5 minutes to the right.

Probably 15-20 minute walk to the Columbus statue at the other end of the Ramblas.

Busses and subway in the square. Airport shuttle (3.8E) stops directly across the square in front of el Corte Ingles.

Hotel has a computer for guests with free access to Internet just outside the breakfast room.

It was about 155E for 2 including breakfast that was an excellent buffet in a large, bright room overlooking the square.

itswoody Dec 24th, 2004 07:24 PM

Look into the Apsis Atrium Palace. It meets your needs exactly.

neviboy Dec 25th, 2004 04:59 AM

Hotel Majestic is excellent and centrally located. We stayed there last April.

gss517 Dec 27th, 2004 11:06 AM

I too stayed at H10 Placa Catalunya. I was there in September. It's in the center of everything. I had a very pleasant stay there. Staff was friendly and always had great suggestions for all the restaurants. However my room was a CLOSET.