Barcelona Hotels, take 1000......

May 31st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona Hotels, take 1000......

Some of you may know that I am travelling to Barcelona, among other places, in July. I'd been struggling choosing a top end hotel to stay at. Initially booking the Claris, but then put off by poor reviews regarding service and paper thin walls! Next I booked the Ritz, encouraged by old world style and glamour, however, I have since been put off by reading reviews suggesting it is rather staid and required some refurbishment. Even though I vowed to stay in the city centre, I've moved to the Olympic Port and booked the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Arts - this offers one a decent sized swimming pool, and from all the reviews on Fodors.com and tripadvisor.com seems to have comfortable rooms and generally excellent service. Will I change my mind again?
May 31st, 2004, 12:52 PM
Singletail

The choice is fine if you don't want to be in the Gothic Quarter.

May 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM

I hope you don't change your mind.... I'll be there in the middle of August and would like to know what you think when you return.
May 31st, 2004, 03:06 PM

I believe you've made the choice I should have. We stayed at Ritz because I liked the location and was not at all impressed,after seeing ARTS wish we had stayed there.
May 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM
z_b

We just got back from the Hotel Claris earlier today. We were originally booked at the Hotel Omm, but then due to some problems there, were booked at Claris.

The location was absolutely wonderful and the staff were efficient, professional, and generally delightful. The room was supposedly a standard double, but was remarkably large, with a king size bed, sofa, bench, with plenty of room. We had absolutely no problems with noise -- in fact, we had some of the best nights of sleep in Spain this past weekend.

In fairness, our file may have been tagged. We were on our honeymoon and they offered congrats at check-in. Met in the room with a complimentary bottle of wine (standard here, I think). Also were provided with a bottle of cava and truffles. Wonderful concierge service and we were also offered car service to the airport for the same price as taxi.

In short, we'd book the Claris again on a return visit.
May 31st, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

What was wrong with it in particular?

I liked the sound of its central location, but its lack of leisure facilities and faded (emphasis on the faded?) grandeur as well as it being no bargain have finally put me off of it.
May 31st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps they'd upgraded you to a junior suite?

The reviews from people who booked/stayed in suites all appear more favourable than those who were in the smaller standard rooms. I'm please you enjoyed it, and I'd imagine at a better rate than normal?

I just feel that if I'm paying the normal high rate, a standard room should always be of a high enough standard to suffice.
May 31st, 2004, 03:28 PM
z_b

Upon learning of the rebooking by the folks at Omm, I made the specific request that they upgrade to jr. ste. or better, which they declined. And while I'm quite certain we were in a double, there may be some variability in the sizes of these rooms.

We did not pay Claris rack rates, but rather the secured Omm rate, which was about 75-100E/night less for comparable standard dble.

But some questions I'm sure you have been considering:

How much time will you be spending in the room?

What will you be doing in Barcelona?

Best wishes on your final decision...
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks...

If anyone has experiences, recent ones, of Hotel Arts, I'd be delighted if you'd share them with me.