Barcelona hotels near or on Las Ramblas

Sep 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona hotels near or on Las Ramblas

I am traveling with 2 children under 6, a grandmother that is quite spry and my husband, we will be spending 2 nights in Barcelona and are looking for a safe, clean, but not too contemporary hotel (they just feel cold), near or on Las Ramblas and near the Barri Gothic (sp). Also, our flight gets into Barcelona at 7:00 am, so we will need to drop our bags at the hotel, and sightsee until our room is ready. Any suggestions on hotels, or on re-thinking our plan or location in the city? We have never been to Barcelona, so are a little unfamiliar with the layout and safety. We plan to purchase a 2 day "Red Bus" pass and seeing the city that way.

Thank you ..
Sep 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Hi. With that many people, you might consider an apartment. Two years ago, we rented from HabitatApartments.com and were quite pleased. The unit we had was nice, but a one br, so perhaps too small for your needs.
Sep 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't want to stay near Las ramblas. Look into El Born, Bari Gotic, Eixample. The Red Bus pass is a great way to see this beautiful,but spread out, city.
Sep 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM

hi alexis,

we just spent a weekend in barcelona and I agree with happytrvlr that you shouldn't be too committed to the ramblas. it's a real tourist trap and pretty unpleasant.

have a look at a guide book and map and work out where most of the things you want to see are. then pick a hotel in that area. most hotels will store your luggage if you arrive early, if your room isn't ready, so why not e-mail the ones you like and ask them?

the tourist buses you mention are pretty expensive for a family of 5, whereas the metro is easy to use and cheap, or for 5 people, a taxi would work out quite reasonably.
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM

An apartment for a couple of nights in the city isn't that great of an idea. Hotels are much simpler and often far better for a shorter stay. If you want to be in the Ramblas area, the you should check out the Hotel Inglaterra (www.hotel-inglaterra.com/), or the Hotel Gravina (www.grupotelgravina.com/).
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Could reccomend to you 3 hotels near on Las Ramblas:
- CENTRAL
- HOTEL ASTORIA
- APART RONDA
All of them are 3* and not very expensive. Hope you'll find some appropriate to you))
Sep 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM

You do not fit in one taxi in Spain unless you can prearrange a 7 passenger van.

The tourist bus is 27E per adult, and kids are 17 E ( these are the two day passes) . Under four is free.

I think you would like the Eixample area best. Las Ramblas is very busy and pushy and not conducive to strolling in a group.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Had I not stayed in an apartment, I was going to stay at this hotel:

http://www.anticespai.com/

I believe it is in the Eixample, not terribly far (but far enough!) from Las Ramblas. Certainly walking distance.

This place looks quite interesting, and gets good reviews on tripadvisor.
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Looking forward to getting a few minutes to check out all the great suggestions .. how come I never thought about emailing the hotel and asking them about storing luggage ... thank you .. sometimes the simplest ideas seem to get past us.

I'll report back on my finding .. thanks again
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM

"I wouldn't want to stay near Las ramblas. Look into El Born, Bari Gotic, Eixample. The Red Bus pass is a great way to see this beautiful,but spread out, city."

Agree, Las Ramblas is touristy, crowded and the last place to be in a beautiful city like Barcelona.
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM

We stayed at Meson Castilla in 2004,and were very comfortable there; the hotel is near Las Ramblas, but not too near. Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

Hotel: Meson Castilla-- A good, moderately-priced hotel . The room was comfortable, if a bit faded; very good a/c and bathroom. The breakfast room is attractive, and they serve a pretty substantial buffet. We discovered the espresso machine-- much better than the regular coffee. Staff ranged from friendly to aloof. Excellent location, a short walk from the Ramblas but far enough away to feel removed from it.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM

You might consider the Atrium Palace which is a couple of blocks from the "top" of Las Ramblas.

Whatever you decide IMo you should see it at least ONCE..it is as much a part of Barcelona as is anything or any place else
Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM

Condes de Barcelona is a nice hotel not too far from the top of Las Ramblas. One good eating place is feet away-Costa Gallega and one great eating place is a block or 2 away-Cerveceria Catalana. 2 Gaudi' house are w/in walking distance-Casa Mila' and Casa Batllo'. And of course the highlight of Las Ramblas is the market, La Boqueria.