Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona Hotel Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-hotel-question-285354/)

portia12 Jan 16th, 2008 07:40 PM

Barcelona Hotel Question

I've narrowed hotels down to Apsis Atrium Palace or Hotel Inglaterra in Barcelona. Any recommendations?

Maribel Jan 16th, 2008 09:00 PM

portia12,
I've toured both and both are very comfortable and in fine locations for easy sightseeing. Both have an excellent front desk staff. Both are very well run. We've been well received by the front desk manager at the Atrium Palace and by the general manager at the Inglaterra.

The Atrium Palace has a nice indoor pool. The Inglaterra has pool privileges at the 5 star Grand Lux Hotel Majestic.

I would go with the best price.

portia12 Jan 17th, 2008 06:32 AM

Thank you, Maribel. I was hoping you would answer my post. The price for both hotels is a tossup so that doesn't help much but it appears the rooms are larger at the Atrium Palace but many complain of the noise from the school yard behind the hotel. What to do, what to do.....

Maribel Jan 17th, 2008 11:28 AM

portia,
We will be in Barcelona for 4 nights in late July, and for our dates the rates at the Atrium Palace will be 132, at the Inglaterra, 129-very little difference.

But because we were so warmly received at the Inglaterra last Jan. by Gemma, the general manager (who even sent us off with a six pack of Moritz beer!) and because Inglaterra guests have pool, spa, fitness privileges at the wonderful Majestic (where we know the head of marketing and where we stayed last Jan.), we have chosen the Inglaterra.

And we love their cozy and comfortable Red breakfast room, and we gravitate to smaller hotels. The Inglaterra has 60 rooms. The A. Palace, 71.

But with children I would choose the Atrium Palace for the indoor pool and handy L'Apsis restaurant with its 19 euro buffet lunch. Also the rooms have two vanities, a mini bar with free mineral water, free Wi Fi, ironing board and iron. I think the A. Palace takes care of families well.

But our own decision was based primarily on personal ties with the Majestic-Inglaterra management, our experience with their personal attention to detail.
If we could splurge for the Majestic, we would stay there again, but on this month-long trip we've chosen splurges elsewhere.

Both these hotels are very well run with attentive staffs.

Hope this helps you a bit more with your decision!

portia12 Jan 19th, 2008 09:54 AM

Thanks Maribel for all the good advice. After much deliberation I have decided on the Atrium Palace. The main reasons being the larger rooms, in-room safes, complimentary water in room, robes, slippers and what sounds like a fantastic breakfast even including wine and champagne.

Maribel Jan 19th, 2008 10:12 AM

hi portia,
The Atrium Palace gives lots of "extras" which make it a super good value. I think you'll be happy with your choice.
Have a great trip!

geosand Jan 27th, 2008 07:28 PM

I am looking at rates for two nights in may at the Atrium and am geting a quote >250 Euros a night. Is there a better way?

mystic1947 Feb 23rd, 2008 08:55 PM

Yes, I am hoping there is a better way too - I am looking for end of Sept and the Apsis Atrium is 178 Euros per night. I would love to see these prices of $132 etc.

Any tips?

Thanks
Pat

Maribel Feb 26th, 2008 01:46 PM

The Atrium Palace rates fluctuate greatly, as do the Inglaterra's If there is a major congress/trade show going on (and Barcelona is becoming a "trade show/conference capital"), you won't find a 140 euro rate available.
That's true of all the well located 4 star hotels.