Barcelona Hotel Near the Water

May 11th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona Hotel Near the Water

My sister has suggested that I should stay on the seaport/water in Barcelona. In reviewing past posts about Barcelona, I don't find any mention of people staying in this area. Please advise on why I should or shouldn't stay in this area. I would appreciate any suggestions of where to stay in this area. I probably want a 4* or good 3* property. Thank you.
May 12th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Bootman4U

Well, the Ritz-Carlton comes to mind but it really is a five star place...I think one reason a lot of people don't talk about Barceloneta or seaport places is they don't usually stay there...it is a little remote for most folks' taste I suspect. One good four star place that we liked was the Colon which is directly in front of the gothic cathedral and the rooms with balcony/views of it are wonderful..very close to the Metro (couple minutes walk) and all of the sites in the Gothic Quarter

May 12th, 2003, 03:12 PM

As Bootman4U mentions, the Arts (it is a Ritz property, without the name) is right on the water, on Port Olimpic. It is a really beautiful hotel.

Other than that, I can't recall any hotels that face the water. The closest one I can recall is the Oriente, a couple of blocks from the port on La Rambla.
May 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Just returned from Barcelona and I agree with the other responses. The waterfront at the base of Las Ramblas (the main boulevard and tourist thoroughfare) isn't a hotel area. There's the aquarium, IMAX theatre and a multistory shopping mall.
May 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Plenty of 3* places on the beach at Sitges, 30-40 min. by train from Barcelona.
May 13th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Bootman4U

Thanks to Jean_Valjean (clever name) for clarifying that the Arts is the Ritz property....and I hasten to add that the dreaded Arts is a.....CHAIN hotel and as we have been so oft scolded on this board..staying in any sort of CHAIN property means you cannot possibly get the "local culture" and you really haven't been to Europe!
Good Luck

May 13th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I now think that I'll stay in the Eixample area. Question: How do you pronounce "Eixample?" Thanks again.
May 13th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Gardyloo, do you have any specific places that you would recommend for us to stay in Sitges? I am going to Barcelona for 8 days in June and we may try to go to Mallorca and Sitges. Thanks!
May 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Eixample is pronounced something like:

"eighshampel"