Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona hotel dilemma - 1+4 nights or 2+3 nights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-hotel-dilemma-1-4-nights-or-2-3-nights-823736/)

just27 Jan 27th, 2010 09:01 AM

Barcelona hotel dilemma - 1+4 nights or 2+3 nights

We arrive in Barcelona at 8 PM (after a long trans Atlantic flight) on a Tuesday in April. My dilemma is because, in addition to 5 nights in Barcelona, we are renting a car to make a round-trip to France. Is it more efficient to spend our arrival night close to BCN airport, pick-up a car the next morning and head for the border -- giving us 4 nights in Barcelona before we depart. Or, should we stay 2 nights upon arrival, do our France trip, then return the car and spend 3 nights in Barcelona before departing on a Saturday morning. (This sounds really needy, but it’s impacting my hotel choices!)

Robert2533 Jan 27th, 2010 09:34 AM

I'd spend the first two nights in Barcelona, otherwise you end up wasting your first night in the city, your 2+3 option.

danon Jan 27th, 2010 09:44 AM

The airport is very close to the city...I am not sure if there are hotels at the airport. Might as well relax in town for a bit before heading out. Agree with Robert.

just27 Jan 29th, 2010 07:34 AM

Thanks for both your input ... it's helpful to realize that the airport is close to town. (That first night is going to be a waste, no matter what. Sheez, who booked a trans-Atlantic flight that takes nearly 2 days and lands at 8 PM! ... gotta love those frequent flyer miles options. Not.)

danon Jan 29th, 2010 08:44 AM

if you stay near Placa de Cataluya - the very center of Barcelona, you could take the bus from the apt ( taxi , about 25 euros ,after a long flight would be my choice). Barcelona is fantastic!

just27 Jan 29th, 2010 09:56 AM

Thx, danon. Would you choose a hotel or apartment?

danon Jan 29th, 2010 11:34 AM

most apt. required 3 nights minimum.
We are visiting Barcelona for the 4th time at the end of April ( six nights) - we like apartments ( I cannot recommend a hotel, except comment on location)
You'll find many suggestions for hotels on this post .
Someone mentioned this hotel once , but I don't know if it is your budget).

http://www.hotel-alexandra.com/barce.../index_esp.php

annhig Jan 29th, 2010 11:44 AM

hi just - the good news is that you are coming to the right country to be able to make the most of arriving so late - most locals won't start eating dinner til 10pm!

so I would agree with the others - 2 nights at the start, 3 nights at the end.

have a great trip,

regards, ann

Fife Jan 29th, 2010 04:54 PM

Why don't you spend the first 4 nights in Barcelona then go to France? There's bound to be a hotel near the airport that you can crash at the night before you catch your plane home. As Annhig points out, you will willy-nilly be in sync with the Spanish schedule when you arrive. The next day, you will sleep till noon, and be on the streets when the Spanish eat lunch around 2PM. Might as well go with the flow. When you get to France, you will need to shift gears to eat earlier. A 4+0 (an airport hotel doesn't count as a night in a country!) lets you keep the Spanish and French schedules separate.

However you arrange it, Barcelona is a great place to be. I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I did.

just27 Jan 29th, 2010 10:06 PM

Yep, Fife, we thought about the 4+1 idea, also. That would put us driving from Barcelona to France on May 1 which, I believe, is a holiday when everything is closed. Is this a good driving day, or not? (Hence, my original dilemma!) When we get back to Barcelona, one in our party is heading home again, and we other two are taking the train to Madrid (and Toledo)for another week. We're going to have a blast, no matter what!

Fife Jan 30th, 2010 12:47 PM

I think May 1 is ok to drive on. I'm pretty sure that hotels will be open on the holiday and that means their restaurants will be also. Gas stations will be open. So your most basic traveler's needs will be met on the holiday. Although I haven't been on the north side of the Pyrenees or along the Mediterranean coast west of Marseille, the French countryside is pretty enough that you can pass a day without museums or attractions.

I appreciate your 1+4 option better when you write that you will be leaving by rail for Madrid. The train station is in central Barcelona, and it will be easy to get to from a hotel in the central area.

If it was my trip, I would do the 1+4 or the 4+1 option. Trying to shift gears from Spain to France and back to Spain seems like too much effort. Which statement, of course, refers to Annhig's observation on Spanish dining habits. Enough from me already.

You are going to have a blast. Seeing Catalonia, France and Spain in one trip will keep it interesting. I don't know if you planned it, but the local vinos in all those places are very drinkable. Enjoy!

annhig Jan 30th, 2010 01:44 PM

Trying to shift gears from Spain to France and back to Spain seems like too much effort. Which statement, of course, refers to Annhig's observation on Spanish dining habits. Enough from me already.>>

one of the reasons I love spain [why don't we go there more often - memeo to self] is that you can usually get something to eat/drink any time of the day or night, unlike in france, where they are if anything, even more rigid than in the UK, especailly at lunch-time. in France, it has been our experience that if you're not sat down by 1.30 at the latest, [except in the biggest tourist centres] you're not going to get anything. to that extent it is not well-suited to the needs of the tourist who may not want to eat at regular times.

whereas Spain is ideal from that point of view - breakfast spills over into tapas time, which flows into Lunch, which finishes just as the tapas bars are opening up again, and then it's time for dinner, followed by chocolate and churros.

it may well be difficult to cope if you mix these two styles up too much!