Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona hotel convenient to airport transport and train station? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-hotel-convenient-to-airport-transport-and-train-station-827458/)

just27 Feb 20th, 2010 12:42 PM

Barcelona hotel convenient to airport transport and train station?

I would very much appreciate recommendations for a Barcelona hotel which is convenient to both airport transportation and the train station. (One person leaving BCN at 11 am on a Saturday, the others leaving on a train for Madrid, also mid-morning.) In the 200 EUR +/- range.

milliebest Feb 20th, 2010 01:22 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Balmes. Easy walk to trains and walking distance to the aerobus, Surrounded by excellent restaurants/ I thought it was a great location.

kappa1 Feb 20th, 2010 01:33 PM

Any hotel near Station Passeig de Gracia. You can take the train direct to the airport. Also only one stop to Bacelona's main railway staion Sants. I have stayed once at AC Diplomatic and another time at Crystal. Both were fine hotels a few minutes walk to Passeig de Gracia station.

just27 Feb 21st, 2010 05:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendations ... they all look like good options. However, the problem that I didn't realize I would run into is that I cannot reserve a Friday night (as in the US, many hotels require a minimum 2-night stay). Looks like I might have to choose one of the airport hotels, which will make the person happy who is flying out on Saturday ... not so much we who need to get to Sants station!

lincasanova Feb 22nd, 2010 01:26 AM

do not stay at the airport unless you cannot find any hotel you like, which i find fairly unlikely given your budget.there are plenty of hotels in the Sants area also that are convenient for both of you if you find nothing in the eixample.

Cowboy1968 Feb 22nd, 2010 02:55 AM

Using hrs.com for a dummy reservation for March 19/20 (i.e. that one Friday night you found unable to reserve) I got literally hundreds of hotels in all parts of town and all budgets. Maybe you should give it another try before you go for an airport hotel.

Dukey Feb 22nd, 2010 03:29 AM

Any hotel near the Placa Catalunya would also work...do NOt stay way OUT near the airport....even if you have to take a taxi out which I just did last November for a LOT less than I expected.

usernameistaken Feb 22nd, 2010 04:15 AM

Last April, I stayed at the marvelous B-hotel for about 90 euros (booked in advance on their website) for one night. It's about a five minutes straight shot walk to Placa Espanya, where you can catch an airport bus that gets you to the airport in 30 minutes.

cruiseluv Feb 22nd, 2010 05:52 AM

I am puzzled that all hotels are telling you two nights min??? I have stayed in BCN only one night and hotels giving me quotes never made this a requirement. I ended staying at Atrium Palace , a couple of blocks from Passeig de Gracia.

No need to stay by the airport, there are many, many hotels well located in the city center and on a Sat morning the ride to airport should not be more than 20 mins.

kappa1 Feb 22nd, 2010 12:02 PM

> I am puzzled that all hotels are telling you two nights min??? I have stayed in BCN only one night and hotels giving me quotes never made this a requirement.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just27, which hotels say that? You could try a booking sites such as venere.com and see what it would give for your dates. You can pick hotels by the area on the map. What are your exact dates?

just27 Feb 22nd, 2010 02:03 PM

I was searching for May 7, on hotels.com (plus tripadvisor and the hotels' own websites), for the first three hotels recommended above, plus several Rick Steve and Maribels options, in what looked to be convenient locations for both Sants and BCN departures. Not having been to Barcelona before, and doing the little Google-man-walking thing every time I went to a new hotel, perhaps I was overthinking the process. Now, based on this encouraging flurry of suggestions, we're leaving the person with the early flight out at the airport (her choice), and throwing a pin at Sants station for my husband and I to enjoy our last night at a hotel in Barcelona before heading off to Madrid.

(The bit I didn't mention previously is that we'll be driving in from Carcassonne, France, that same day ... so just taking the car back to the airport and crashing didn't sound like such a bad idea. However, one last night of tapas sounds better.) Thanks, all, for the reality check!

kappa1 Feb 22nd, 2010 02:19 PM

May 7, it's not the cheapest time of the year is it? Still I see on venere.com. e.g. Hotel Gran Via for €128.- double room. Sounds nice.

just27 Feb 23rd, 2010 01:30 PM

No, kappa, not cheap at all ... next time I might opt for March! The Hotel Gran Via looks great ... and they'll let us stay just one night! Thanks for doing my homework.