Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona Hotel Continental Ramblas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-hotel-continental-ramblas-374488/)

scubatv Nov 6th, 2003 06:54 PM

Barcelona Hotel Continental Ramblas

Has anyone stayed at or knows something about The Hotel Continental Ramblas in Barcelona?

Thanks, Jon

tskobo Nov 7th, 2003 07:55 AM

I stayed at its sister hotel in the same building, the Toledano. The Continental seems a bit nicer. My room at the Toledano was tiny, but had all the amenities. The location is great, at the top of the Ramblas very close to El Corte Ingles and the Plaza Catalunya.

tskobo Nov 7th, 2003 07:58 AM

oops, sorry. the sister hotel is the capitol. my mistake. :)

samtraveler Nov 7th, 2003 08:42 AM

Yes I stayed there in May of 2002. It is a nice little hotel on the upper floors of a building right on the Ramblas. The location really cannot be beat. It's right on the Ramblas at the top of the Ramblas at Placa de Catalunya which is extremely handy for public transit (ie the metro, the Aerobus to and from the airport). The hotel itself is interesting. The rooms are wildly decorated in floral patterns. We found the place to be clean, beds comfortable and a nice private bathroom. It's kind of a funky place. The breakfast buffet was nice. And the staff was wonderful. We arrived on a night train extremely early and they went ahead and got our room ready so we could check in right away--and that was at about 9am. Plus seeing how tired we were, they offered us the breakfast buffet too while we waited for our room, which was totally unnecessary and very kind seeing as we weren't paying guests the night before. For the price, the kindness of the staff, the location, the nice, clean (albeit funky) rooms, I would stay there again. If you're a light sleeper ask for a room away from the Ramblas and on an upper floor.

Myer Nov 7th, 2003 10:21 AM

Is it air conditioned?

samtraveler Nov 7th, 2003 10:41 AM

I don't recall if it had a/c or not as the weather was fairly temperate when I was there so I didn't have any reason to notice. My guess is no, and I think I remember something on their website about "tropical fan"--don't really know what that is.

Lisasnv Nov 9th, 2003 02:12 PM

Returned from a stay in Oct.2003 at the sister hotel, Hotel Continental Palacete, 30 Ramblia de Cataluna, www.hotelcontinental.com email [email protected]. Just loved it, 19 rooms, all different, staff outstanding. This was a small palace, and they have done a beautiful job in the remodeling. Buffet breakfast is included in the room rate, we booked months before and had a queen room overlooking the front street, 145E per night double. The buffet is kept clean and filled 24 hours. Included on the buffet was beer, and wine plus fresh fruit, cheese, and other items, eggs, bacon and sausage in the mornings. Its a short stroll to the Plaza Catalunya.
One street over and up a couple blocks was Tapas Tapas. Would stay again.
Liz