Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Hotel---Catalunya Plaza; Meson Castilla??

Feb 27th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

I think I have answered my own questions based on wonderful info from Maribel and searches on this site and Trip Advisor but I'm at the point in trip planning where I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by information and need a reality check!!

We'll be in Barcelona for three nights in May. I can get the Catalunya for about 418 euro including breakfast and the Meson Castilla for 405 (both for all three nights). My sense is that the Catalunya is a better choice with the possible exception of the many comments on small rooms. Neighborhood seems better and hotel in general seems slightly more upscale. Am I on the right track??

We want a good location at a reasonable price (doesn't everyone), safe at night and perhaps most important, quiet at night.

So is the Catalunya a better fit? And, of course, always open to other suggestions. Thanks so much.
Feb 29th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

TTT

Any thoughts???
May 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM

I am also interested in the Catalunya Plaza if anyone has stayed there recently.
May 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I have stayed at the Meson Castilla, not the Catalunya. I wasn't thrilled with the neighborhood, although reasonably close to Las Ramblas. It's a bit difficult to find as well, but all in all, not a bad deal.
May 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Replying to my own post---we stayed at the Catalunya Plaza. The rooms for the most part are EXTREMELY small. We were first given a room that overlooked the square that we thought was very small. After some conversations with the desk staff we were given a room in the back which resembled the rooms on their internet site and in their brochure. This room was adequate. We are not new European travelers and know that E-rooms are not as large as US-rooms but the first room and others we saw were ridiculously small.

This is a hotel with a superb location and great staff but I would think twice before staying there unles I waas guaranteed a room like the ones on the website.
May 29th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I have reservations at Meson Castilla in a month. I am not convinced we should keep them, based on Tripadvisor's reviews I am looking at AB viladomat. The reviews for it are consistently good. It seems hard to find a hotel there that has consistently good reviews. I am also considering the Hotel Astoria. Anyone have ideas on these places?
May 30th, 2004, 05:16 AM
CFW

We stayed at Meson Castilla two years ago. The price was very reasonable and we had an ok room with a balcony with a nice view of Barcelona rooftops. The neighborhood was not the nicest, and the hotel a bit difficult to find. I don't think I'd recommend it and we'll probably look for a different hotel on our next trip.
May 30th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Thanks CFW. That is the impression I get too. Reviews say that Meson Castilla's walls are like cardboard they are so thin, and thast the hotel is noisy. We will just be coming in from Miami, and sleep will be a priority. Do you know of any other hotels you could recommend? What about the AB Viladomat?
May 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM
CFW

I don't remember the noise being a problem. It was more the area that we didn't care for. I can't tell you about other hotels in Barcelona since that was the only one we stayed in, other than the Hotel Arts which we stayed in for "free" with hotel points from a frequent flyer credit card -- very expensive otherwise.
May 31st, 2004, 04:06 AM

MaggieOB....once you had secured the large room were you then happy with the room as regards sound-proofing? If you were facing the square did you suffer any sleep disturbance? Lastly, did you feel safe at night in the area of the plaza? All reviews I have read seem very positive. The only complaints I have found are about the small rooms, which you discovered for yourself.
May 31st, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

We had no problem with noise at the Catalunya Plaza. Even the room facing the plaza was very quiet-----when you opened the window (actually a French door) you realized how noisy the plaza was with traffic etc. But closed it was perfectly quiet. We felt absolutely safe in the Plaza at night (keeping in mind that you are in a major city and must always be aware of your surroundings.) The larger rooms at the CP are all in the back of the hotel I'm pretty sure. They look over a large area which all the buildings on the block seem to face into---very quiet.

We loved Barcelona, enjoy your trip.
May 31st, 2004, 06:20 AM

Thank you MaggieOB. Your reply has been most helpful.
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Looking for KAUDREY re: feb. posting about staying at both Hostal Palacios & Meson Castilla, those are the 2 places we are between to stay when in Barcelona along with The Continental Hotel, can Kaudrey or anyone else shine light on the best choice.