Barcelona for a day in May!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Barcelona for yes, just one day. I know many of you will think we're crazy, but we figure one day is better than none, as we may not have another European vacation for some time.

So, if you have any opinions on "must see" sights, please advise. We were thinking of paella on the beach, a couple of Gaudi buildings and perhaps a brief visit to Spanish Village.

Any friendly advice/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Is that a complete day?

Will you be arriving the evening before and leaving the morning after?

If so, where were you planning on staying for those two nights.

Let's start there a find out exactly how much unrushed time you do have.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM

And which day? Weekday or weekend? Is it a holiday? (We just discovered that one of our few days in Barcelona is a holiday - May 16 - and a number of venues will be closed.)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM

Spanish village is absolutely not worth seeing! It's like a Disneyland version of Spain. I think the best thing to do would be to get on one of the excellent hop-on-hop-off busses. They pass by the beach, all the Gaudi buildings and even the Spanish village, and you can stop wherever you want to. Or perhaps first do the entire tour once, decide at what you'd like to have a closer look and visit that on the next tour.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. To add more detail, we arrive in Barcelona around 2 p.m. and our flight leaves at 10 p.m. that same day.

A hop on/hop off bus tour sounds good, Stardust, do you have a weblink I can research? We'll be in Barcelona on Wed., May 18, Myer. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

Here's the link to the Bus Turistic.

http://www.tmb.net/en_US/turistes/bu...usturistic.jsp

It is organised by the city. There's another company who does tours as well, but I've seen their busses less frequent. They have a stop at Sants Station, where the airport train stops. The airport train also stops at Plaza Catalunya and so does the airport bus. Plaza Catalunya is also where the northern and southern tour from the Bus Turistic meet.

Enjoy your afternoon in Barcelona!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hollywood,

This is what I would do.

Check luggage. Take the Blue airport bus (forget the name but someone will mention the name) to Placa Catalunya. 3E and 40 min.

When you get off the bus in front of El Cotre Ingles, turn left and walk up Passeig de Gracias. A block or so up look on the left side of the street at the three multi-color buildings. Walk another block or two and see the Casa Mila. If there's isn't a line-up there, I would spend a quick 40-60 min and take the tour.

Of all the Gaudi works, I think this tour was the best. Sample apartment, museum one floor below the roof, and the most interesting of the Gaudi roofs.

Hopefull not later than 4:30. Then walk back down Passeig de Gracias and down the Ramblas (it begins at Placa Catalunya). Read some guide books because your interests may be different than others.

You won't have time for the Parc or Sagrada though you should be able to see it from the roof of Casa Mila.

I believe the buses leave Placa Catalunya every 15-20 minutes so you'll want to be back there by about 7:15 or so.