Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona/Bilbao designer shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-bilbao-designer-shopping-459984/)

m_kingdom2 Jul 15th, 2004 11:38 AM

Barcelona/Bilbao designer shopping

As I'm sure you're all aware I'm going to Barcelona/Bilbao this Saturday.

I'd be very grateful if you could advise where Loewe is located (address and area), and what shops stock British/Belgian (Antwerp) designers and Prada/Jil Sander. Also any recommendations for local designers besides Miro? Does Bilbao have similar shops or some local designers with small collections there too?

I always find fashions abroad more appealing even if they are from my home country. Also I have a very good rate on the EUR in my pocket making them cheaper than at home!

Many thanks all.

BethGL Jul 15th, 2004 11:59 AM

M_Kingdom,

I can't really answer this question for you... but I would love if you posted your thoughts on the Arts Barcelona when you return. I've reserved it for August and would like to know what you think.

Thanks,
Beth

TrendGirl Jul 15th, 2004 12:01 PM

m_kingdom2:
Loewe has a beautiful corner flagship store on the Passeig de Gracia #35, on either the very same side of the block as the Gaudi house, Casa Batilla (block of Discordia)or just one block away.
If I remember, it is even supposed to be a very historical building as well.
It is across the street from The Majestic hotel. It is easy to find, as all the designer shops are on the same few blocks. I can't remember the name of the boutique that sold Dries Van Noten, and the Belgian group, but I believe it was on the opposite side of the street at Loewe, also on the Passeig de Gracia, but farther up the street towards Gaudi's La Pedrara.
Other Boutiques you may like:
Adolfo Dominguea on Passeig de Gracia #89, and Joaquim Beraro on Carrer Rosello #277.
Many of more trend driven funky stores like Custo Barcelona, are located in the Bari Gotic, but from your questions, those are probably not the names that you are looking for.
The Diagonal has many of the Designer stores as well, but it is much more interesting to shop on Passeig de Gracia.
Can't help you out with Bilbao, but I am thinking Barcelona is probably more Apparel driven.

m_kingdom2 Jul 15th, 2004 12:07 PM

Thank you for your help with shopping tips, you're quite right I hate Custo Barcelona's designs, garish and lacking any form.

I will most definitely be posting my comments on Hotel Arts - I'm expecting neutral, international decor of high quality, and very good (but not flawless) service. Oh, and a pool that is too small and overcrowded.

I'm also staying at the Sheraton Bilbao, unfortunately the swimming pool is not yet operational, no other luxury property in that city has a pool, so I've called them and have been assured I will receive a suite with jacuzzi to make up for this inconvenience.

stardust Jul 15th, 2004 12:49 PM

The Loewe info is right.
A good shop for designer clotheis is Gonzalo Comella. There's a big store down on Passeig de Gracia, only one block up from Plaza Catalunya I think, Casa Mila side. They have Prada and Bikkembergs for sure. Never saw other Belgian designers in Barcelona (I'm Belgian, so I'd look out for those)... but then again... without my mom ('s wallet) present I really didn't get into too many designer shops this year :-)

m_kingdom2 Jul 16th, 2004 04:20 AM

Thank you for that, I'll be looking out for some small local designers too. I'll include details of my escapades in a report of sorts upon my return. Others here have covered Barcelona so extensively, I feel my main focus will be on the Hotels/shops/dining rather than attractions which would simply be repitition.

SharonNRayMc Jul 16th, 2004 04:38 AM

Maribel has a tremendous run-down of shopping. Check her guides at: maribelsguides.com.
- Sharon