Eurostar question

Search

Eurostar question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eurostar question

I'm visiting London and Paris for the first time this year with friends of mine, and part of our itinerary involves taking the Eurostar train from St. Pancras Int'l to Gare du Nord. Since we're relatively new to all this, I was wondering if anyone had details on what to expect for the customs/passport processing and how long the wait times are once we arrive in Paris (for the record, we're Canadian citizens). Their website seems a bit sparse on info, and any help and insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM

Your passport will be checked at St Pancras before you board, and you and your bags will be scanned for security. When you arrive at Paris, you simply walk off the train. There is no customs examination for the vast majority of passengers, little restriction on what you can carry with you (no guns, for example), and no forms to complete.

Travelling back from Paris to London, you have to complete the usual U.K. landing card as well as the same procedure as above. You simply walk off the train at St Pancras.

Be at the station at least 30 minutes before the train is due to depart, and you should have no problems and little waiting around.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:06 AM

In London:

1. Slide your ticket into the slot in the entrance gate, and retrieve it. You are now checked in for your journey. (They will double-check your ticket again as you go up to the platform to board the train, and you'll need the details of your coach and seat number which are printed on it).

2. Proceed through security check line (5 minutes or so, in my experience).

3. Proceed through French passport check (1 minute, 2 if you're unlucky - unless of course there's something unusual about your passport). You have now entered France.

4. Wait in lounge till the train is ready to board.

5. Once in Paris, get off the train and walk straight off the platform and out of the station - there are no further checks.

It really is as simple as that. They advise you to be there half an hour before departure time, but you're more likely to spend time waiting queues at the coffee bar or news-stand, or finding your seat on the train, than in check-in/security/passport lines.

(Don't be surprised at the time it takes to find your seat, by the way, - the trains are very long, and the labelling of the coach numbers not as eye-catching as it might be).
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:24 AM

You know about buying your ticket in advance? Don't wait until the day of travel.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:29 AM

With Eurostar you can book up to 4 months in advance... there are some nice little shops in St Pancras so you can while away any time before your train that way!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:51 AM

"there are some nice little shops in St Pancras so you can while away any time before your train that way!"

You can't really. You're supposed, on cattle class tickets, to check in 30 mins before. That forces you through the gates into the immigration/security area, and after all that there's next to nothing by way of shops except a modest bar and a few trinkets.

There are actually loads of shops in St Pancras - but if you want to visit them, you must finish with them 30 minutes before departure. Since you usually get through the formalities in 5-10 mins (at least in London: leaving Paris it's a totally different, and much grimmer, story) and boarding doesn't start till 10-15 mins before departure, it helps to have a good book handy.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM

In terms of Eurostar travel, the very best resource I've found is "the man in seat 61" ... www.seat61.com. His website is always up to date and has great tips for everything, even the insignificant things that you'd normally never consider until it was too late.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice, everyone. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be simple to just breeze through customs just like that...
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Book your ticket online and save ££. I booked in January - also reserved my seat. Seat61.com is a great resource for learning how to book train seats and get good prices.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Although we are traveling the opposite direction (catching Eurostar in Lille to London), this is useful information! Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM

I have taken the Eurostar 4 times now( not alot compared to the lucky ones who can commute between Paris and London for long weekends,, but still ) and i always make a point to arrive at least 45 minutes to an hour in advance( an hour outbound because I pick up tickets there) . The process is as easy as everyone says,, but while it may take " two minutes for this or three for that" I have found there are always other people there!LOL and therefore lines can be long, you are supposed to be checked in 30 minutes in advance, not arrive at station 30 minutes in advance. I find arriving an hour or so ahead gives me time to pick up a snack too.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM

Fair point, justine. Life would be so much easier if it weren't for other people !
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Just a balance to those advising getting to the station a long time before the train leaves.

We travelled back from Cologne in late December 2010, and the ICE train was late into Brussels. We had about 15 minutes to leave one train, go to the other platform, go through control and security, and get onto the Eurostar. We managed it without difficulty.

For your own sanity, i wouldn't advise it, however.