Austria-Germany with at 13 yr old boy

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria-Germany with at 13 yr old boy

Hi
In May I might be travelling with my 13yr old son. I know he would love to see both the Audi and BMW museums in Munich and area. I also will be going to Salzburg and Schladming Austria.
I am really not sure what to do with him. We will be travelling by train.
Any suggestions?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM

My son loved the Deutsches Museum in Munich. He also enjoyed the Zugspitz roundtrip (cable car and cogwheel train).
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Our son also loved the Deutsches Museum last summer (he was 13). If there is a soccer game going on, ask him if that's something he would like to see. My son's favorite team is Bayern-Munich and he would be thrilled to see one of their games.

My husband and other son also went on a bike tour around Munich that they really enjoyed.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Unless he feels to "old" for that, you could do a trip to Legoland in Günzburg, a good hour W of Munich.
You probably know already that the Audi museum is in Ingolstadt, N of Munich.
Don't forget the two other locations of the Deutsches Museum, one geared towards transport, and the other for aircrafts.
In Salzburg, Hangar 7 at the airport is also a small airplane museum, "home" of the Red Bull squadron.

If he is more the outdoors type, you will find several adventure "playgrounds" in the front range of the Alps S of Munich where you balance on ropes in the tree canopies, or do other crazy stuff that can break your neck (not really, of course).

Any specific reason why you picked Schladming? t's better known here as a winter / ski resort. In summer, unless hiking is top of your list, you have other places, e.g. on the Carinthian lakes, that may offer more options to spend the day.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Your son might enjoy both the BMW museum and the factory tour. You should have good weather in May so take him to the Englisher Garten, maybe rent some bikes. In Salzburg he will enjoy the castle that sits above the city. Since you have a little time have him pull down some podcasts on Ludwig. The "Things you didn't learn in History Class" site has a good one. Then he can feel some ownership of all the Ludwig castles plus the Residenze and Nymphenburg Palace in Munich.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:20 AM

The salt mines near Salzburg and the Ice caves at Werfen are fun and different.

Google fun forest germany for info on the adventure playgrounds. They look like a lot of fun.