Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona - best area for hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-best-area-for-hotel-645780/)

SusanAlexandra Sep 11th, 2006 10:33 AM

Barcelona - best area for hotel

Hi,

I am looking into a B&B, hotel or even "nice" hostel for my husband and I in Barcelona, for the very beginning of November. I assume that of these regions below, the "Las Ramblas" one is the best, but before I do go ahead and assume that, I wanted to ask you your opinion!

Of the following areas, which is best for us - he has never been, and I only have on the summer back packing thing 5 years ago!

1. Downtown – Marina – Las Ramblas
2. Barcelona West
3. L’Eixample – Passeig de Gracia
4. Sant Gervasi – Gracia
5. Forum area – Sant Marti

Thanks so much,
Susan

wally34949 Sep 11th, 2006 10:43 AM

I have had trouble sleeping in Barcelona due to no air-conditioning and the windows being on a loud street. With that information, I would avoid being on a busy street but instead find a hotel that is near the subway system and a pedestrian street. I do like the Ramblas area but not on the main street.

Eric_S Sep 11th, 2006 10:51 AM

If you stay in the Las Ramblas area you will be near most attractions, restaurants and so on. However it's very noisy, especially on the Rambla itself. Lots of small hotels catering to young, drunken tourists. Avoid hotels too deep into the Raval, the neighborhood to the right of the Rambla (facing the sea), it can be seedy/dirty. The Eixample/Passeig de Gracia is also a good option. Larger streets, nice buildings, and still near tourist attractions. The Forum is too far from everything.

Maribel Sep 11th, 2006 10:59 AM

My vote is for the upscale L'Eixample-Passeig de Gracia.

laclaire Sep 11th, 2006 12:14 PM

Of those listed, 3 (Eixample) is the best. West Barcelona can be far (Sants) from action and attractions, the Ramblas are large and the side streets not at all well lit, Sant Gervasi- Gràcia is absolutely wonderful but far from everything, and the Forum is far away and in a lame area.

roomiec Oct 2nd, 2006 12:57 PM

Hi Maribel,
What 4 or 5 star hotel would you suggest on the Eixample?
We have heard back from Hotel Banys(their suites are in a seperate building), and Olivia Plaza. Both have availability in July...and both look very nice.

Thanks.

Maribel Oct 2nd, 2006 01:13 PM

roomiec,
That depends on how much you want to spend. But if you're considering the Banys Orientals in El Born(e), I assume you're looking in the 100-120 range, correct?

These would be my 4-5 star choices. There are others that are nice but only 3 star, like the Hotel Actual and the Derby Astoria.

Super Luxury:
Majestic

Expensive:
Condes de Barcelona
Cram

High Moderate:
Pulitzer
AC Diplomatic (price depends on dates)

Moderate:
Atrium Palace

I haven't seen the Olivia Plaza yet.

Poconolady Oct 2nd, 2006 01:20 PM

Check out the AC Dipomatic- a great hotel in a great location. We stayed there last year in early Nov, both pre and post cruise, and we could not have been happier. Even the items in the minibar are complimentary!

roomiec Oct 2nd, 2006 06:18 PM

Hi Maribel,
For the Banys Hotel you are right on the money! The suites are 129E.
The Olivia Plaza terrace rooms are much more$$$...247E.
Poconolady...the Diplomat looked great, but appears to be sold-out for our dates.
Where is El Born(e)?

Maribel Oct 2nd, 2006 06:39 PM

El Born (sometimes spelled Borne) is the hip, young, gentrifying section of Barcelona east of the Gothic Quarter and La Ribera, where the Banys Orientals is located. Lots of "in" shops, bars and restaurants. Think NYC's SoHo. BTW, "Born(e)" was the early catalán word for medieval jousts.

JJBhoy Oct 3rd, 2006 12:28 AM

Susan,

Did you know that I had replied to your earlier question re the Hostal Girona?

If not, click on your name (in blue above) to see all of your previous postings.

Jim