Aran Islands - Inishmore

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aran Islands - Inishmore

Still planning our trip to Ireland - looking at visitng the Aran Islands - specifically the Inishmore Island. At this time we plan on staying overnight on the island. Please recommend some "must sees" and BB on the island. Our trip is for the middle of May.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM

If you click on Ireland and scroll down a ways you'll see my post entitled "Aran Island In Late March". I got many wonderful responses which I think you would find helpful, even though you're going a bit later.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM

My suggestion for a B&B on Inis Mor is Man of Aran Cottages, http://manofarancottage.com/. It is a a bit remote but close to Dún Aonghasa. If you are a walker, it is a leisurely ten to 15 minute walk. Joe & Maura Wolfe are absolutely delightful. Maura is a native of Inis Mor. I would suggest having dinner there with them, as the food is exquisite. Hire a pony cart for the day and ask them to show you the best of the Isle, Na Seacht dTeampaill (The Seven Churches),Dún Dúchathair, Dún Aonghasa, Dún Eoghanachta, Na Poill Seideáin (The Puffing Holes),Poll Na bPéist (The Serpent Hole). If you hav etime, stop at Ionad Árann, which is an interprative museum. Tigh Fitz & Tigh Joe Watty are your best bet for Pubs.

Enjoy Inis Mor. She will steal your heart and your breath, as well.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! The are so helpful; as this is our first trip to Ireland.

Cowboy Craic: We certainly are walkers - so this B&B sounds great! I looked on the website but couldn't find how much it costs/night - can you give me a rough estimate? Also, can you give me an idea of what the rooms are like - they look "rustic" (which I really like) - do they include a private bath? Again looked on the attache website, but didn't find too much information (then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot...). The pubs you mentioned sound interesting as well - are these close to the B&B?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM

The rates should be shown on the Contact page, http://www.manofarancottage.com/contact.html. The rooms in the annex are ensuite , as are the rooms in the new cottage. The rooms in the main house share a bathroom.I have always stayed in the annex, "my" room has a wrought iron bed and a full length mirror. Another room has two twin beds. I believe that there is one more room in the annex which is also a double. On this page, http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8aa51/#TL, you can see a few pictures of Inis Mor. I have so many more. I am always taking photos of Joe's flowers and vegetables, the changing sea off the back porch, and changing weather. If you would like to see more,you can email me and I will send you some interior shots. There aren't any pubs close by but Joe & Maura have a van driver who will take you to the pub and pick you up again at a very reasonable rate.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM

Try this link for travel info ex Galway:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34734003

Bob
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM

You can have wonderful bike rides on the island. Bike rentals are right near where you get onto the island by boat.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
JMR

For Cowboy Craic: I would love to see your photos of the annex as well as the room in the annex that you stayed in.. anything about the annex would help since I was offered a room there.

I assume that the annex is not attached to the house, therefore, all the dining must be in the main cottage right? Also, does the annex have any common areas such as a living room/fireplace or anything? Thank you in advance
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM

I don't think Cowboy Craic has posted on Fodor's for quite some time.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
JMR: Welcome to Fodors. Just a hint - before topping an old thread it is best to check the dates - this one is more than 6 years old. And to see if a member is still active, you can click on the screen name (you'd see that CowboyCraic's last post was in 2007)
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
JMR

oh my. apologies.. I sure jump the gun there- hahaha.
Well, I sure hope someone can put some light on the matter. I know I'm probably sweating the small stuff but just thought to get as much info.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
JMR: No prob. Why not start a new thread of your own specific questions.