Search

Barcelona and St. Remy Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona and St. Remy Trip

I retire tomorrow!

My wife and I are frequent travelers to Provence (St. Remy) and elsewhere. We have never been to Barcelona. We love art, classical music concerts, exploring cities, the countryside, their markets. We are thinking of going in October 2006 or May 2007.

A few preliminary questions:

-Are there any direct flights from New York to Barcelona--by what airline(s)?
-Is there a train from Barcelona to Avignon; how long does it take?
-Some first-hand ideas on what there is to see in Barcelona--also, a good hotel suggestion in the 150 euros range. No websites please.

As always thanks!

Anthony

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Anthony,

Just type Barcelona in the "Search this forum" field and many threads on Barcelona will come up.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Congraulations on your retirement!

I'm flying direct from Newark Liberty International to BCN via Continental for a pretty good rate. I'd really recommend checking them out.

I'm not sure about the train- I think it's like an overnight thing, if I remember correctly. While you're in Barcelona, make sure you check out their architecture by Gaudi. It's world-reknown. Also, this region is famous for it's seafood and good wine.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Furtius.

For many years I have planned vacations around information provided by good people like you.

I seek first-hand experiences and eschew websites. Once I have data confirmed by three or more Fodorites, giving special weight to experienced travelers like St. Cirq and Cigalechanta, I proceed with reserving flight, hotel and other steps to insure a great vacation.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Iberia has direct non-stop flights to BCN from JFK.
Hotel Gran Via would be in your price range; excellent location (NOT on Ramblas); old-fashioned style, a little fusty; I like the place but I am sure others will have further hotel recs.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Powell.

Keep active ..and travel, travel...good luck in the wonderful world of retirement.

I second skrunchy on the Hotel Gran Via...reasonably priced, very well located, just around the corner from Plaza Catlunya and Passeig Gracia. Not luxury by any means, but comfortable and old-worldly, colonial charming.
Good parking garage next door.

You'll find Barcelona to be an electrifying city...drink it all in.
"Rough Guide" is extremely detailed and the section on Barcelona is well written. Your camera will get a workout.

Enjoy..many years ahead of travel and good health!!

Stu T.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Take a look at the Apsis Atrium Palace hotel as well. On the Gran Via two blocks from Placa Catalunya (www.apsishotels.com) and has a great buffet breakfast and absolutely no noise even in the rooms fronting on the Gran Via itself.

That entire area is very convenient to stay in no matter which hotel you choose. Close to the Metro; within walking distance of both Las Ramblas and also Las Ramblas Catalunya (better outdoor restaurants), the bus or train to/from the airport, etc.

You can use the GermanRail site to check train schedules; yours would take between 7 and 8 hours one way

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Find my hotlist on: "moving back to Barcelona," a thread I started.

I checked www.renfe.es (Spanish railways official site) and Aviñón is not an option as a destination, so there are probably no direct trains and you might have to go someplace like Montpelier (which is listed as a destination) and work from there. You might find flights though.

All of your questions have been covered extensively, particularly the one about hotels, and I can't speak for anyone else, but if I provide you with a link to a website it is because it is for a company that I have used and trust will meet your needs.