Search

Barcelona and Paris itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona and Paris itinerary

hi all-

i am planning to travel with my family (including 3 daughters between 8-12) for my birthday for 9 days from Paris to Barcelona. Any recommended itineraries? Would you recommend just visiting those cities or other excisions or day trips? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Please clarify -- is the entire trip 9 days (including travel days) ?

If so, you will only have 6,5 days free on the ground and lose another day (or most of a day) traveling between Paris and Barcelona. Leaving just 5.5 full days. Not much for two really major cities. And that is best case - that you book open jaw flights in to one and home for the other city. If you are flying round trip int/out of the same city you lose another day returning to the city of origination.

OR . . . is it an 11 or 12 total days trip - leaving you 9-ish days on the ground?
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:03 PM
kja

Even if you have 9 days on the ground (do your 9 days that include your travel days?) I, personally, would not plan on anything but Paris and Barcelona; if you want to, you can always take a day trip once there. It really depends on what you want to see and experience, but 4 or 5 days is not much for a first visit to either city.

I would strongly encourage you to get some good guidebooks, or consult them at your local library. Maybe you can make it a group project to identify the things you all want to do?

Each city is delightful -- enjoy!
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 08:24 PM

When? Events might change the itinerary.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi, it would be 9 days on the ground and we would fly to Paris and out Barcelona. Still debating whether to take the fast train or fly from Paris to Barcelona. Our dates begin the 3rd week of August. Also wondering if anyone has any “must do” list for traveling in either city with kids.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 08:57 PM
kja

Originally Posted by cindy1
Still debating whether to take the fast train or fly from Paris to Barcelona.
Remember that both airports are out of town, but trains stations are within cities, and you would need to be at the airport well before a flight, whereas you can arrive at a train station shortly before a departure. As a rough rule-of-thumb, I usually figure that a flight has to be at least 3 or 4 hours shorter than a train for it to be worth even considering. And I, personally, FAR prefer traveling by train, when one can move around, to being herded into a flight cabin. YMMV.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:05 PM

The other issue is there are many flights every day but far less trains.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:12 PM
kja

True. And then there's the carbon footprint....
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:30 PM

I doubt anyone is adding an extra train or plane for the OP so the real carbon footprint of the OP's trip is zero. Of course if they cared they wouldn't fly across the ocean.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:34 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
I doubt anyone is adding an extra train or plane for the OP so the real carbon footprint of the OP's trip is zero. Of course if they cared they wouldn't fly across the ocean.
There is such a thing as trying to be mindful of the ecological consequences of one's actions, even if one doesn't limit all unnecessary use of greenhouse gases.

Last edited by kja; Jul 27th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:51 PM

Barcelona with kids, sights to consider:

Tibidabo.
Old fashioned amusement park on top of Tibidabo hill. It‘s still in the city but getting there - with historic tram and funicular - feels like an excursion. The park itself is no Disneyesque mega theme park. Kids may find the attractions to be a bit on the mild side.

CosmoCaixa.
Nature/ science/ hands-on experiences, like an indoor rainforest. For free, if I remember correctly. Don’t remember if signage includes English or just Catalan/ Castillian, though.

The usual suspects: Aquarium, Zoo. And the Chocolate „Museum“, I guess.

Exploring the quirky well-known Modernisme buildings (La Pedrera, Casa Batllo) should also be interesting as well as Sagrada Familia, of course. Getting timed tickets in advance is a must.

Poble Espanyol.
Bit cheesy and obviously touristy but historic showcase of most buildings typical for the different parts of Spain.

Exploring Montjuïc.
Miro museum, cable car ride, parks, views. And the Magic Fountain at the bottom of the hill at Pl. Espanya at night. Check times for latter.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Hi, it would be 9 days on the ground and we would fly to Paris and out Barcelona. <<

OK -- that helps a little. Buy even with 9 days on the ground you will be pretty rushed with a family in tow. You'll have at most 4 das in each city and another day in transit between the two.

>>Also wondering if anyone has any “must do” list for traveling in either city with kids.<<

That partly depends on what sorts of things the children enjoy. I'd suggest you get them a couple of guide books to look through and have them come up with some ideas for each city.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by cindy1
Hi, it would be 9 days on the ground and we would fly to Paris and out Barcelona. Still debating whether to take the fast train or fly from Paris to Barcelona. Our dates begin the 3rd week of August. Also wondering if anyone has any “must do” list for traveling in either city with kids.
Paris Plages is still on then, so you can do "Paris as a beach destination". Lots of events and activities especially for children.

Bassin de la Villette is the place to be
https://www.sortiraparis.com/arts-cu...-seine/lang/en

Bring swimsuits!

Last edited by menachem; Jul 27th, 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 12:26 AM

Still debating whether to take the fast train or fly from Paris to Barcelona.
How many flights have you been on?

And how many high-speed trains?

Travelling is about making new or rare experiences.

For the adventurous, slow travellers the best option is actually a night train from Paris to Portbou or Latour-de-Carol and a slow regional train to Barcelona.

Or travelling via the amazing scenic Ligne des Causses rail line between Clermont-Ferrand and Béziers which is going to be closed in 1-2 years for ever.

https://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barc...-TGV-train.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 12:33 AM
kja

Originally Posted by BDKR
Travelling is about making new or rare experiences.
I'm sure that for SOME people, this statement is true -- but what a sweeping generalization, so dismissive of the many other reasons people might have for traveling!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions thanks so much!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

We know we will go back so really don't feel rushed. Will see what we can see.

Of course I am getting guidebooks - just know that some folks with kids have must dos in various cities. I have it for NYC (and various other US cities) and I have been given then for London, Thaniland, Denmark etc...Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menachem
Paris Plages is still on then, so you can do "Paris as a beach destination". Lots of events and activities especially for children.

Bassin de la Villette is the place to be
https://www.sortiraparis.com/arts-cu...-seine/lang/en

Bring swimsuits!
Thank you - great idea!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

I will look into the trains. Thanks very much for the insight.