Barcelona and Paris in March

Dec 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona and Paris in March

Hi Everyone!
This is my first time posting, but I have been lurking for a while. I am planning a trip to Barcelona and Paris for March 17th-April 1 with my husband. We spent 1 week in Paris for our honeymoon in Oct 2009 (along w/1 week in Amsterdam) and fell head over heels in love (with Paris AND each other). So, we are going back! I have already booked my Paris apartment for 9 nights with Parisbestlodge.com. It is in the 6th Arr. Last time we stayed on Rue St. Paul in the 4th and loved it, but I wanted to stay somewhere new and different.

I am still looking for lodging options in Barcelona. Anyone have any ideas? The only street I remember is Las Ramblas (stayed there for 1 night back in 2005) so I am not sure what other areas are central. We are up to rending an apartment or a hotel (5 nights). Barcelona seems to be more affordable than Paris as far as hotel prices.

DH and I are big foodies and would love any input on good restaurants that won't break the bank. I even bought "Hungry for Paris" last night from Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive!!

Any tips/tricks/suggestions are welcome! I even started learning French this weekend! I took Spanish back in high school but don't know a word of French, that is until 2 days ago!! I am so excited!!

Irene
Dec 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM

We also love Paris. We rent apartments and stay in the 4th. We also now love Barcelona. We were there this past Nov. 10-15. What a great city. We rented a really nice apartment from www.habitatapartments.com They were very easy to deal with and very responsive to everything. I definitely recommend them. I just did a trip report on our visit. Click on my name and you will see it. I have included pictures that also have apartment photos. We stayed in the Eixample area on Rambla de Catalunya. I didn't know if I would like the neighborhood, but I was very happy with my choice. I would stay there again.

As far as food goes, we go for budget so I can't really give you much advice there. I gave some of my tips, thoughts on Barcelona in my report. For Paris, if you like jazz, on Friday and Saturday after Midnight you can get into Duc des Lombards jazz club for free for the jam session. When we were there the musicians were great. Have a fun trip.
Dec 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM

In regards to Barcelona, I suggest you take a look at Maribel's Guide to Barcelona (www.maribelsguides.com). It will give you a very decent list of her preferred hotels.

In Paris, we use Paris Perfect. They have an excellent selection of apartments and offer great support should you need anything. The also own most of their apartments, which makes a big difference when renting a property.
Dec 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM

We will also be in paris at the same time..3 women leaving our men at home and going to live it up ..also rented for 9 nites from parisbestlodges tho in the Marais..I`ve been before for a 1 day stay but the others havent..was in Barcelona last year and stayed in a hotel on las ramblas..can`t recall the name but it was kind of old and worn but only 100 eu/nite and included breakfast plus 24 hour beer and wine for free!!Los Ramblas was very noisy at nite but it was very convenient to everything..I think it was the hotel Continental..check it out on TA hotel reviews..anyway,enjoy your trip and maybe we`ll run into you!!
Dec 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM

las Ramblas is not a nice street IMO.

Rambla de Catalunya just north is much nicer

In Barcelona
we rented 3 times from habitat
http://www.habitatapartments.com/
Dec 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM

We too love both of these cities, always renting apartments. I'd avoid staying right on Las Ramblas although we've seen some nice apartments a bit off it. El Born is a great place for first timers - lots of food and bar choices nearby, easy access to many attractions and shopping. Or if you're looking for something quieter, much of the Eixample is a typical residential/commercial mix.

This agency is very communicative and helpful:
www.likelivingthere.com
Dec 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM

I agree with danon, I woudl avoid las Ramblas. I stayed in a side street close to there. I am not a fan of that street at all.