Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona & Madrid: where did you stay with two kids two adults

Jul 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

My trip is still a year away, but I wondered if anyone has gone to Madrid and Barcelona with two kids and needed one moderately priced room. That is, 2 adults two kids (14, 4) Did you find a good room? What was your experience?

Thanks much,
Jul 14th, 2007, 09:13 PM
jgg

Haven't been to Madrid but we were just in Barcelona in March with our two kids (11,14). I found it difficult to find a quad room in Barcelona so we ended up with two rooms at the Hotel Pulitzer (www.hotelpulitzer.es).

We loved the hotel, it had a wonderful breakfast room and buffet breakfast (ours was incl. in our price) and an excellent location just off the Placa Catalyuna on a quiet street. The staff was also extremely helpful.

You may also want to consider renting an apt. if it is important you all be together.
Jul 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Our family of four stayed in a single room in Madrid 2 summers ago at:

High Tech Gran Avenida Callao Hotel
C/Mesonero Romano 14,
Property Phone Number: (34 91) 5327107
"Utell Worldwide:
1-800-207-6900"

It was large enough. One king size bed and a set of bunk beds. Had internet access. We had to hang a sheet over the see-through bathroom door though.

Jul 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
tgn

you can try www.melia.com, they have discounts for families, like 50%off in second room for kids, but you have to book in advance. During summer and weekends, in some of their hotels you can leave your kids in a "camp" for one night (with experienced people), so you are free all night.
Jul 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM

For Madrid try Room Mate Alicia or MArio. It is a small chain.

I know it is a stupid name and mate in spanish is a form of to kill but they are excelelnt bargains and near the major tourist sites. Check out TripAdvisor
Jul 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM

We will be in Barcelona with out 2 kids, 8 and 5 in October. I looked extensively at hotels versus apartments, in the end, the apartement just couldn't be beat for the price and space. We are staying at the MH Apartments at Sangrada Familia in the Exemple (sp?) district, but they have apartments all over Barcelona. I guide I have been emailing recommended Banys Oriental for a hotel, it has suites for 4 for about 130euros a night and looks great on line, the hotel is very popular though and did not have availibity, but since you are a year away, you might try if you want a hotel.
Jul 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this gives me a good start. I check out the hotels and the apartment idea. I appreciate it!

Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM

My god ! We don't translate Room Mate for anything in Spanish Room Mate is the person you share your room with so it's just a name, not at all stupid , I think.