barcelona and capri with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip with our daughters (9 and 11). I'd like to go from Barcelona to Rome and land in Capri for the end of the trip. If we stay in Capri can we take day trips to Sorrento or Pompeii? Would it be better to do this from Rome? I'm trying to figure out how much time to spend in each spot. Any suggestions would be helpful! We plan to be gone for 12 days.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I assume you are going in summertime and you need to be aware that the heat can be brutal at that time of year in your target destinations, especially Pompeii.

12 days is actually not much time to cover all that geography. Are you planning on spending time in Rome? How long you spend in each place depends on what your family likes to do and see.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes. We are going in the summer. I know it can be horribly hot, but I'm hopeful that we won't be too shocked since we live in Florida. I'd like to spend a 3 nights in Barcelona and 2 or 3 nights in Rome.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM

My concern about daytripping from Capri in summer would be making sure you got on that last ferry, no matter the crowds.

If you want to see Sorrento and Pompeii, perhaps spending a final night in Sorrento is a better idea.

Even though you live in Florida, be sure to take sun protection and lots of water when you visit Pompeii. There is no shade there.

Is there some reason you want to combine these destinations in a single trip? There are islands and beautiful beach destinations more convenient to Barcelona (and some ruins), or simply going to Italy (Rome, plus Naples, Pompeii and Capri) would be an eyeful.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM

The difference between FL and Itlay in the summer is that in FL everything has AC. In Italy many places - shops, restaurants and even hotels do not have AC - so you're sweltering ALL the time. If you do this be sure to get hotels with American style AC (really cools -not just makes a little less hot), be sure to stay hydrated and try to take a rest in the afternoon.

As for Pompeii in midsummer, I would get there when it opens and try to get out by noon.