Reload this Page >

Barcelona and Andalusia--need itinerary help

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:14 PM
dpd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and my 30 something daughter and I plan to spend 10 nights in Barcelona and Andalusia in late May. We are planning to spend 3 or 4 nights in Barcelona and the balance in Andalusia. Originally we were planning to visit Barcelona first (after flying from the US) and then fly to Andalusia (perhaps Malaga) and then at the end of our trip return to Barcelona, by air, to fly back to the US. Does this make sense or could it be better to fly to Madrid and take a train to some point in Andalusia and then visit Barcelona at the end of the trip?

We were thinking of spending a few nights in Granada and then perhaps taking day trips to Cordoba and/or Malaga? Would it make sense to try to spend nights in Malaga or Cordoba?
Would you try to spend some time in the White Hill Towns like Ronda?
If this seems too aggressive, please comment and should we limit out hotel stays to only 2 places in Andalusia? We do want to be able to do some relaxing also.
With respect to Barcelona would you recommend 3 or 4 nights--this is a first time trip there?
If it is 4 nights would you try to include a day trip to Sitges?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 02:44 PM

does not seem to make much of a difference to me. From Madrid take the about 2-hour high-speed AVE train to Seville - then bus or train to Granada - then train to Malaga - 6 nights - fly to Barcelona for last 3-4 nights. Seville IMO is a must. Anyway book long-distance trains far in advance to get discounted tickets - Renfe is the official site of Spanish Railways - many here seem to be flummoxed by it - www.seat61.com has super info on booking on that and other sites- general info trains like 1st v 2nd class, etc BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 06:24 PM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and do!

In general, I tend to think that 9 days is about the right time for the highlights of Andalusia - 4 nights in Sevilla, 3 nights in Granada, 2 nights in Cordoba. More if you want Ronda or Malaga or anywhere else. YMMV.

IMO, 3 or 4 nights is not much at all for Barcelona -- I had 6 nights there, not counting time for nearby locations such as Montserrat and Girona, and I didn't make it to Sitges or Tarragona. I didn't write a report on my time in Andalusia, but you might find some useful information in my comments on Barcelona and the Costa Brava in this trip report:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Prioritize what you most want to see and maybe cut off one of your desired destinations. Figure in train or plane time too. I like kja's idea - Malaga is nice and has nice beaches but I think Granada, Cordoba and Seville are great - take a day off Granada and go to Malaga to fly out of there. Fly Barcelona to Seville.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:45 AM
dpd
Original Poster

I should have stated that we have been to Sevilla and wanted to try other parts of Andalusia
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:51 AM

We met our 30-something daughter in Barcelona in the fall of 2017 for three nights and then Nice for three nights. She saw enough in Barcelona (although she obviously didn't see everything) and we rented a car one day and took a day trip to Dali Museum in Figueres with side trips to Besalu and Griona. We had considered Sitges but didn't make it there.

We prefer Granada to Malaga.