Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/barcelona-1128625/)

jackfall Sep 4th, 2016 09:14 AM

Barcelona

What is the best way to see the major Gaudi sites in 5 days? Waking or tour. How can you plan advance tickets either walking, subway or can you go and stand in line? I am so confused need help!
Should I go at night or morning. Is it a good idea to get an advanced ticket to La sangria Familia and go to Park Guell same day? Should I get advance tickets to both Casa Batilio and La Pedera?

Whathello Sep 4th, 2016 09:39 AM

La Sangria ?
Jack, you showed your true nature here ;-)
You'll find la Sangria in any good café/restaurant.

I've never booked any Gaudi site in advance. But saw only 2 (3?).

jackfall Sep 4th, 2016 10:38 AM

Oops I meant La Sagria Familia.

Whathello Sep 4th, 2016 11:22 AM

Isn't it Sagrada Familia ?

danon Sep 4th, 2016 11:47 AM

Purchase tickets on line for SF( pick the time) and after, take a taxi from there to the park .
Usually , there is a lineup for CB and LP.

BigRuss Sep 4th, 2016 12:05 PM

Sagrada Familia = Sacred Family in Catalan.

La PedRera. Casa Batllo. You can see those on the same day and still have time for Parc Guell. They are also closer to the Parc than the Sagrada Familia is.

There is no subway, it's the metro.

<<Should I go at night or morning>>

You can't go IN to most of these places at night.

thursdaysd Sep 4th, 2016 12:18 PM

Buy your tickets online ahead of time for the Gaudi sites. Your choice whether to pay extra for any time entry or pay less for a fixed time (don't think that's an option for Sagrada Familia). And you will find the web sites more easily if you learn how to spell the locations. Perhaps you could borrow a guidebook.

There are more than just Gaudi sites worth seeing in Barcelona. See:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-9473525

Loacker Sep 4th, 2016 12:24 PM

5 days is enough time to see the major Gaudi sites.

It's best to book your ticket in advance for the Sagrada Familia and Casa Batlo. You can do that through their official websites. Not sure if La Pedrera will be as crowded. I only saw it from the outside.

The sites are easily reached by metro, except Park Guell. It's a longish a walk from the metro station. Not a problem if you're young and fit.

Also, there's absolutely no need for a tour. Barcelona is very easy to get around on your own. You can rent an audio guide if you'd like to learn more about the places you're visiting.

Don't limit yourself to Gaudi, though. Make sure to check out the work of Domenech, especially Hospital de Sant Pau and Palau de La Musica Catalana.

ssander Sep 4th, 2016 01:16 PM

Bookmarking

kja Sep 4th, 2016 02:40 PM

As others have said: Book on line in advance. No need for a tour unless that is your preference. Get yourself a good guidebook or two. Definitely see the masterpieces by Domènech i Montaner in addition to those by Gaudi. And enjoy la sangria (thanks for the laughs, Whathello!)

xawdis Sep 4th, 2016 02:55 PM

As a fellow traveler of Jack's... I have a couple of questions about what tickets to get (realizing of course that there is more to Barcelona than Gaudi, and that Sangria Familia is probably a local bar in Madrid)...

Three specific questions:

Basically, everyone says to get the skip the line ticket to Batllo, even though the basic tickets are timed... How long would you expect to stand in line with the timed tickets... and how long in advance would you have to you have to buy tickets online (could you jujust jump into an internet cafe and get your tickets?).

At Sagrada Familia... We are trying to decide between the guided tour and the audiotour... any thoughts?

Finally, we are considering seeing la Padrera at night... do you folks recommend that compared to just visiting during the day?

kja Sep 4th, 2016 03:06 PM

@ xawdis:

With the Batllo, I had a timed ticket and walked right in, delayed only as long as it took for checking of tickets.

At the Sagrada Familia, I did both the guided tour and the audio tour. I don't normally like guided tours, but was quite impressed with this one. There is posted information about some features scattered around the cathedral; the audioguide duplicated that information more than the live guide, and the live guide answered questions. That said, I thought both were very good options.

I visited La Padrera ONLY at night, and so can't comment on the differences. I thoroughly enjoyed the light show on La Padrera's chimneys.

Hope that helps!

Loacker Sep 4th, 2016 03:10 PM

No, you misunderstood. If you buy your tickets online you'll be able to skip the line. (People usually queue for the tickets)
However when buying in advance you usually have to book a time slot. If you'd like more flexibility in terms of when to visit, you would have to pay an extra fee. I'm not sure this option is available at La Estrada or Casa Batllo.

It's possible to visit La Pedrera at night.

When are you going?

xawdis Sep 4th, 2016 03:53 PM

I think I have figured out how Casa Batllo works...if you have a prepaid timed ticket, for, say, 10-10:30.. You get there at 10:15, and you get in line along with all those who have just bought their tickets and are waiting to get in, and so you may not get in by 10:30.

So, I guess the question is, how long is the line of people who already have tickets compared with those buying tickets?... And, can people who don't have their tickets yet save a place for their buddy who is buying the tickets (in which case the line trying to actually get in would be much longer)?

This brings up the other part of my other question if you could see a long line, could you just just pop into an internet café and but a skip-the-line ticket.

xawdis Sep 4th, 2016 04:10 PM

@ loacker

We are leaving this week, arrive in San Sebastian Ehursday, then Barcelona on the 12th, Palma de Mallorca on the 18th, and Madrid on the 22nd (I'll be searching for the Sangria Familia there).

Loacker Sep 4th, 2016 04:10 PM

Yes, theoretically this is possible, except that internet cafés have gone out of existence.

If your're going during low season, you might not have to buy tickets in advance. I was there in October and don't remember the lines being awfully long.

kja Sep 4th, 2016 04:15 PM

Again, that was not my experience at the Batllo. Maybe things have changed.

Loacker Sep 4th, 2016 04:16 PM

Just read your answer. I highly recommend booking in advance, then. September is still high season in Barcelona. Try to book the night before your visit using the hotel's WiFi.

If you'd rather not be tied to a specific time slot, try to visit very early in the morning or late afternoon when it's less crowded.

xawdis Sep 4th, 2016 04:47 PM

Thanks to all.

kimhe Sep 4th, 2016 10:54 PM

<At Sagrada Familia... We are trying to decide between the guided tour and the audiotour... any thoughts?>

I highly recommend to take the guided tour. Would most probably add immensely to the experience. I thought I knew a lot about both the church and Gaudí before visiting inside for the first time a few years ago, but the very knowledgeable guide made of course a huge difference. Took questions and elaborated on details that the audio guide for sure wouldn't tell you ;-)

To wet your appetite, "Why Gaudí's Sagrada Família is a cathedral for our times": https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-for-our-times

And you'll be in Donostia-San Sebastián during Euskal Jaiak, a ten days long celebration of Basque sports, music, dance, poetry, food and wine. Great fun and crowded. This year it goes on until 9/11:
http://www.iberia.com/sv/destination...aiak-festival/
http://www.sansebastianregion.com/87...uskal-jaiak-en