Bank holidays and the Tube in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a visit to Windsor and Hampton Court on May 7th. I was using the journey planner provided by London Transportation and it has a note on the directions that states:

WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Bank Holiday Monday 7 May, suspended. Reported: 22/03/12 10:20 Last Updated: 22/03/12 10:21

What exactly does this mean? We are to take the Bakerloo line to a Southwest Train.at Waterloo Station. I'm assuming that it means the Waterloo and City Lines of the TUBE are down that day which shouldn't affect the Southwest train correct? I'd hate to set out to find out the whole station is down for holiday.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom spread my way concerning this travel.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Until one of the London regulars weighs in, here's what I see - looking at the tfl.gov.uk website for May 7th, it looks like service will be "good" on the Bakerloo line. Station won't be affected.

I'd guess that since Waterloo & City is heavily used by business commuters, it can be closed down for improvements over the bank holiday.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jespere. That is what I suspected but I'm trying to make sure since I only speak "American" and I've found that English can have some varied meanings.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Back up a bit here. Trying to squeeze Windsor and Hampton Court Palace into the same day is VERY difficult. Each is worth a <u>minimum</u> of half a day, and more is better. So even assuming you only spend 4 hours at each one, it takes too much time to travel between to make it work w/o going at a dead run.

It is not a good idea do them the same day.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

janisj, I somewhat agree. My wife and I have been to both thrice and this trip we are with another four people. The plan is to go early to Windsor to walk around the area for an hour and a half before it opens, do the castle, then hop the train for the 40 minute trip to Hampton Court. We'll have to skip the gardens and maze there but the others will get a good overview of the Palace. It will definitely be a long day. My only concern is they are cooking in the kitchens that day and the crowds could be excessive. Anyone ever been to the Palace on a day when they are preparing food? This is my wife's idea by the way. ):
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The kitchens are always an attraction even when not actually cooking. They'll probably be more crowded -- but would be in any case since it is a holiday weekend.

Must you do HCP and Windsor on that day? Both will likely be VERY crowded.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM

The Waterloo and City Line doesn't run on Sundays (as Jespere says, it's primarily a commuter line for City workers), and on Bank Holidays, the tube runs a Sunday timetable. If Waterloo mainline station were to close completely on a Bank Holiday, there would be hell to pay....!

I would be more concerned to check with South West Trains the service between Windsor and Hampton Court, for possible engineering works. That's if, as others said, you have to try to visit both on the same day (I'd be exhausted and fractious, but that's me).
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 01:36 AM

<i>What exactly does this mean?</i>

It means the Waterloo & City LINE is closed that day.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. I know everyone is right about trying to cram both places into one day. I guess this might be one of those occasions where I have to shatter my wife's illusion that she actually is in charge and change our plans a bit. Do let me ask these though; Which would be better if either to visit on a bank holiday, Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace? And can you tour Eton College on a bank holiday? Is the food worth indulging that is prepared in the Hampton Court Palace's kitchen? Thanks again.