BAN RAY SEVA AND PROVOCATIVE QUERIES

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:34 PM
Richard

BAN RAY SEVA AND PROVOCATIVE QUERIES

Just kidding, but it did take up a lot of space. <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:51 PM
wes fowler

I've really puzzled over a lot of the responses Ray prompted by his innocent observation. The instances of indecisiveness as to what to where, where to buy it, what color it should be and on and on and on made me wonder how the traveler in question ever arrived at a decision to go to Europe in the first place. Once that decision was reached after heaven only knows how long, think how long it must then take to decide what to wear. The poor 12 year old who can't find a skirt is going to be in her 30s before she ever gets there! I think a lot of the travelers that have been subject to criticism because of their dress must be following the advice I read years ago in one of the guide books. Pack your oldest clothes then discard them after wearing them: makes room in the suitcase for souvenirs!

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 10:59 AM
Lee

The "new, beefy" server is getting a proverbial ass kicking on that one.

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 04:09 PM
Melissa

I think it is great that Ray started the topic. What a forum for discussion! There are so many different viewpoints being expressed, I think it is very, very interesting. I think he has given very good advice. There isn't anything wrong with wearing Nike/Reebok/NFL/MLB stuff. I personally have NFL Starter jackets and various items of clothing depicting my favorite football team (Steelers), but that stuff isn't big in Europe. So, nothing wrong with leaving it home (unless that is all you own). Bravo to Ray!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 08:51 AM
Neal Sanders

In thinking about it, Ray's basic question contains a conundrum... he makes an assumption ("ever notice how sloppy...") that we Americans dress sloppily when in Europe. No, we don't dress sloppily -- we dress like Americans going to the mall on a Saturday afternoon. Ray Bans, message-bearing t-shirts, too-tight slacks, etc. are simply part of an accepted American dress code. <BR> <BR>We certainly don't alter our dress when we travel domestically (see my posting early on in the thread regarding tourists on the Mall in Washington DC). The question is whether we ought to take that dress code with us when we travel abroad, and that's where some of Ray's respondents start losing it. They resent being called sloppy dressers, or having it inferred that Europeans dress in some superior manner. <BR> <BR>My wife and I were on vacation in Hawaii earlier this year, and at our hotel there were two honeymooning couples from Japan. One morning, we observed them taking photos of one another. There were two sets: one in the t-shirts, bikinis, and short-shorts that they wore around the hotel. Those were, presumably for their friends to see. They also took a second set in the same locales -- this time in dresses, very conservative bathing suits, and cover-ups. Those had to be for the parents. <BR> <BR>The Japanese couples dressed to a looser "American" standard; reverting to the more conservative "Japanese" standard when they wanted to show their parents where they had been. <BR> <BR>No one in Europe is going to mistake our Land's End wardrobe for locally-bought goods (it is probably as distinctively an "American" look as is possible to achieve without wearing a U.S. flag), but we know we're not going to give offense or otherwise stand out. In the end, it's all part of fitting in.

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 09:56 AM
roger

Had to join in! An old saying- Your are what you eat. I think that you are what you dress. If you are a slob in the USA you are going to be a slob in Europe. If you dress well here, you will dress well in Europe. People are what they are, never to change. If they have no manner, yell and are rude here you can bet they will be in Europe as well. The only problem is that all of us are put in the same basket. ergo, all Americans are rude and crude.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 06:52 PM
Laura

Don't worry about what to wear in Europe. There are so many sensational things to see and do. Just dress comfortably and travel light. The only valid reason that I can think of to adapt the attire of the natives is to keep from standing out enough to be targeted by thieves as American tourists often are, but that problem can be solved by wearing a money belt under your clothes and avoiding seedy areas. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 09:34 AM
Michele

1-Ban no one, remember there is such a thing as freedom of speech. 2-To Wes: The poor 12 year old is a lovely young lady who is almost packed; we leave in 4 days. Her cousin in Geneva plans to take her not only to her school for a day but to her favorite place to shop for clothes. 3-To Neal: I LOVE your cultural observation of the Japanese couple-fascinating!