Bamberg vs. Wurzburg vs.....your opinions are helpful

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be based in Nurnberg for several nights next month and will have a rental car. We have been to Nurnberg in the past and are looking at visiting some other towns. Yes, I alreadfy know the distances involved.

I keep hearing about these two places in particular and wondered if anyone has any thoughts as whether one might be a better visit than the other. I am not trying to carry out one of those "compare and contrast" fifth-grade assignments we used to see a lot around here...just rather hear aboutr your own great experiences and what you liked about these two places. We might very easily make time for both if it sounds worthwhile.

The guidebooks are full of good things but guidebooks can be deceptive so thanks very much for any thoughts. BTW, we are not going to Germany to enjoy the beer or the wine in particular....
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Both are great towns; Würzburg is my favorite in Germany. I best like the walk up to the castle (Marienberg Festung)across the river from Würzburg. There are some good views back at the city and across a gorge at the Käppele. There are two good museums in the castle, one devoted to the Main-Franken area and the other to town. My wife enjoys the rococo Residenz in town better than I. The Residenz gardens are a pleasure for both of us.

Würzburg was greatly damaged in WWII, the town womenfolk being left to clear the rubble, largely by hand, before the town could be rebuilt as it was. The city museum has an excellent exhibit on the destruction. City Website:

http://www.wuerzburg.de/en/17322.th_...teful_day.html

In Bamberg, I really liked the gothic cathedral and the old town is very scenic. Walking around the scenic Altstadt was our main pleasure. Bamberg avoided bombing and rebuilding after WWII, and enjoys the UNESCO World Heritage designation.

Würzburg is a center for the Mainfrankish wine region. Bamberg is a mecca for beer.

Treat yourselves and visit both.

Regards, Gary
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Hi Dukey.

I like both places and either one you visit will be great. My preference is Bamberg. It is a city loaded with charm. It is an easy city to walk around. The Dom and the town hall are worth the visit alone.

My family originated in a small town north of Bamberg closer to Coburg. I am a big fan of Frankonia and it is a wonderful place to visit.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanki you BOTH for your kind and thoughtful comments which are exactly the sorts of things I was hoping to hear. I am much obliged.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM

We were in both for the first time last year and really enjoyed both cities. They are charming, pretty, walkable and when we were there, beautifully decorated for the Christmas markets.

We loved the walk along the river in Wurzburg as well as the Residenz and decided after one day there that we would love to go back and spend a few.

Bamberg has a more compact and old world feel IMO. The streets were winding and colorful and we stopped in at a pub at the end of the day where there were no Americans, a real pleasure since we had spent the previous day in Rothenburg, which was tour bus central! The locals were welcoming and we enjoyed a couple of hours there before heading out.

I would also say do both if you have time. FWIW, we preferred both over Nuremberg.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Kfusto, I AM an American, obviously, but appreciate your comments nonetheless and thank you. I just hope we don't run into any LOUD-mouthed anti-American Europeans on this trip..know what I mean?
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM

So am I, an American. My point, obviously not well made, was simply that it was really nice to be in a city where there were few tourists after the dozens of tour groups we encountered elsewhere. It was not meant to be offensive.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

We, too, like them both but Wurzburg seems to have more to see and do so if you have quite a bit of time I'd go with it. If you have less time, go to Bamberg. And if you possibly can, do both.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Another reason you might want to consider Wurzburg over Bamberg is that you might possibly be able to combine it with stops at either Bad Mergentheim and/or Weikersheim on your return to Nurnberg. Both are cute smaller towns with interesting palaces/castles.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM

I have been to both places multiple times and it is very difficult for me to compare the two. They are very different places. Everyone above makes very good points. Even if you aren't going for the beer or wine, Wurzburg is wine country and Bamberg is beer country and that in of itself lends a different atmosphere to each place. Contrary to some comments, I think both places cater to tourists and you'll see your share of Americans in both places; if for no other reason they are both very near American military installations. Both are worth visiting and I can't really give you any reason to NOT visit either place. Like kfusto Nuremberg is not one of my favorite places in Germany and I'd much prefer to be in either Bamberg or Wurzberg.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM

What a delightful decision. I've been to both and liked them equally for different reasons. Much of what has already been listed.

Flip a coin and go to both.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have only been to Bamberg and loved the city. Easy walking. Enjoy meeting other people, including Americans. I think you will love Bamberg if that is your choice. Richard P.S. General information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/bamberg
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Been to both and feel both are awesome - but Wurzburg is much bigger - much a bigger city in all respects - Bamberg i kind of liked more - rivers bisecting a town that is thoroughly old looking.

Can't go wrong but Bamberg i believe is a lot close to Nuremburg than Wurzburg.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM

kfusto - Not to worry, I knew what you meant. It's just sort of fun to find yourself a bit off the main tourist path.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Although I was born in Wuerzburg and still visit there, I agree with the comments about both cities having their (complementary?)appeals (in addition to wine & beer). In your case, take a look at the map and check if you may want to drive a bit north of Bamberg and visit parts of the area of the Fraenkische Schweiz. You would probably drive north on the A-73 as far as Forcheim, then drive on the B-470 to Wiesental (castle), Goessweinstein (castle) , Pottenstein (castle) to the A-9. Take it to Bayreuth, and cut over on the B-85 to the A-70, westbound. That will take you to Bamberg. Or, from Bayreuth you could go a bit further north yet as far as Kulmbach and then head to Lichtemfels, Vierzehnheiligen (a well known place of pilgrimage with a beautiful church) and on the B-173 to Bamberg.