Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bamberg-Munich-Prague-Nuremburg Itinerary - Final draft (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bamberg-munich-prague-nuremburg-itinerary-final-draft-897857/)

november_moon Jul 7th, 2011 09:36 AM

Bamberg-Munich-Prague-Nuremburg Itinerary - Final draft

Our trip to Germany and Czech republic is in about a month, so I am putting the final touches on our itinerary. This trip is for my husband's 40th birthday, so I have been planning it for awhile, wanting to make sure that I plan a terrific trip for him. He said he wanted to spend his 40th sitting in a beer garden in Munich, so I have planned a 2 week trip around that. The theme, as you may be able to quickly deduce, is beer.

Any advice about beer to drink and places to eat, neat stuff to see, etc. is appreciated.

Day 1 and 2 (Fri and Sat): Fly SFO to FRA, arrive at FRA 9:45, rent car and drive to Bamberg. Afternoon in Bamberg - we will wander around, have some eats and some beer, and turn in early to combat jet lag.

Staying at Barok Hotel am Dom, Bamberg

Day 3 (Sun): In Bamberg - We will probably buy the BierSchmeckerTour from the tourist office, which is a beer tasting package with 5 vouchers for beers at different places around town. And there is an offering through the tourist office called the Legendary Bamberg Beer Evening, which requires 20 people to sign up for it to happen, so we are contacting the tourist office to see if there will be enough people. It sounds like a fun time. Bamberg is on our itinerary to begin with because when we were in Nuremburg a few years ago, we tried the Rauchbier and loved it - decided that our next trip to Germany would include Bamberg.

We are also interested in seeing the Kaiserdom, the Residenz, and the Franconian Brewery Museum - which we will try to fit in between the beer.

Staying at the Barok Hotel am Dom, Bamberg.

Day 4 (Mon): We don't have a real plan for this day, but some possibilities. If we have seen enough of Bamberg, we will take a day trip, either by train or by car. Wurzburg is high on the list of possibilities, but we may take advantage of having the car to go poke around some smaller places. The Levi Strauss museum and birthplace is nearby, and as Californians, Levis are near and dear to our hearts, so it might be neat to see his birthplace.

Staying at the Barok Hotel am Dom, Bamberg.

Day 5 (Tue): This day is the reason for having the car in the first place - going to the Aufsess area, which is about 45 minutes east of Bamberg, to do the Franconian brewery walk. We will drive to Hochstahl and walk to Sachsendorf, Aufsess, Hechenhof, and back to Hochstahl, visiting the breweries in those towns along the day - about 14 km round trip.

Staying at Brauerei Reichold Gasthof, Hochstahl.

Day 6 (Wed): Drive to Munich and drop off the car. Possible stops along the way include Ingostadt, Erding, and Regensburg - we'll play it by ear. Or perhaps the beer gardens of Munich will be calling to us and we will drive straight to Munich. We are taking the Beer and Brewery tour with Munich Walks that evening.

Staying at Motel One Sendlinger Tor, Munich.

Day 7 (Thu): In Munich - This is our second trip to Munich, so we aren't in a big hurry to see everything - our goal is more to hang out and relax, see some things we missed previously or didn't spend long enough seeing. In the morning, we'll probably wander around the Altstadt, climb the Alte St. Peter tower, visit the Residenz. In the afternoon/evening, if the weather is good, go to a beer garden or two, if the weather is bad, go to a beer hall or two.

Day 8 (Fri): In Munich - This is my husband's birthday. We will take the S-Bahn to Herrsching - visit the Andech's Monastery and the Amersee.

Day 9 (Sat): In Munich - We have a few possibilities for this day, depending on the weather and what we feel like doing. There is a food tour of the Viktulienmarkt with Munich Walks that looks interesting, we might go to the Nymphenberg Palace and combine that with a visit to the Hirschgarten, maybe one of the art museums. And of course, more beer gardens and/or beer halls.

Day 10 (Sun): Train/bus to Prague via Nuremburg, depart Munich 11:16, arrive Prague 16:18. No plan for the evening, probably wander around the old town, get a bite to eat, and find a cool place to have a few beers.

Staying at the Hotel Residence U Tri Bubnu, Prague.

Day 11 (Mon): In Prague - Free time in the early morning. then we have booked the 11 am Sandeman Old Town Walking tour and will probably take a river cruise in the afternoon. Not sure how much will be going on in the evenings on a Monday, so it will probably be an early night.

Day 12 (Tue): In Prague - We have a morning free and then will do a river and beer garden bike tour with Praha Bikes in the afternoon. Then see how the evening shapes up.

Day 13 (Wed): Prague Castle and Stanhov brewery. Hopefully night life will have picked up by Wednesday and we can find some decent bars with live music or something. Any recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Staying at the Hotel Residence U Tri Bubnu, Prauge.

Day 14 (Thu): Day trip to Pilsen by train.

Day 15 (Fri): Morning is free, then taking the 11:30 bus to Nuremburg, arrival 15:17. We've been to Nurembug before, so our plan is to just relax a bit and wander around the old town and enjoy our last night before our flight home.

Staying at Hotel Victoria, Nuremburg.

Day 16 (Sat): Train from Nuremburg to FRA flight from FRA to SFO

Aramis Jul 7th, 2011 06:33 PM

You should be giving advice, not asking.

If you are going to be in Bamberg with a car, try not to miss Basilika Vierzehnheiligen, a Baroque - Rococo masterpiece designed by Balthasar Neumann.

It's hard to describe in words.

http://www.vierzehnheiligen.de/

Oh, and S-C-H-L-E-N-K-E-R-L-A!

Enjoy the brewskies!

mokka4 Jul 8th, 2011 04:48 AM

This sounds GREAT!
I've been watching your planning for months onsite now... unfortunately, my tentative trip to the same area for this fall had to be postponed, possibly for next May. DO write after the trip with notes on your experiences!

yk Jul 8th, 2011 06:47 AM

november moon, I don't have any advice except to beg you to write a trip report on your return. My husband will turn 40 next year and he loves beer; so maybe I can just copy your trip (and call it my own). :) Cheers! ((B))

Cowboy1968 Jul 8th, 2011 07:29 AM

Since you seem to have a certain preference for beer-related activities:
You'll pass the German Hop Museum on your way to Munich (interchange A9/A93)
www.hopfenmuseum.de/index.php?id=1-1&lang=en

Unless you plan to visit the Audi plant or the factory outlet shopping center, Ingolstadt is not extremely fascinating.

Erding is somewhat nice, but Freising would be easier to get to, and is nicer.

november_moon Jul 8th, 2011 10:32 AM

Aramis - Yes, Schlenkerla! That is indeed the raughbier that we tried in Nuremburg and is was heavenly. We can buy it bottled at BevMo here, but it is just not the same. Thanks for the tip on Basilika Vierzehnheiligen. That looks really fabulous. And how interesting that there is a connection to Camino de Santiago - walking the Camino is what we are planning for MY 40th birthday.

mokka - I am sorry to hear that your trip was postponed. I will definitely post a trip report when I get back - hopefully it can help in your planning.

yk - I remember a couple years ago, you were really helpful when I was planning our Belgium/Netherlands trip. Feel free to copy my beer odessey trip.

Cowboy - Oooo, the German Hop Museum. Interesting. We are total beer nerds, so this is right up our alley. We went to Freising on our last trip to Munich and it was nice. We might have to revisit it - the day we went was scortching hot, so I don't think we got as much out of it as we could have. So many choices...how to decide... Eh, life is long, we just have to choose what to see now and what to see later :)

Aramis Jul 8th, 2011 12:15 PM

Mr. Rauchbier (Alt Schlenkerla Rauchbier), meet Ms. Onion (Bamberger Zwiebel).

I'd like you two to get together and make out in my mouth, please.

Awww, I'm getting all goose pimply and misty again!

cindy2 Jul 8th, 2011 03:16 PM

My husband and I will have time for 1 day trip from Prague. Which of the following tours do you seasoned travelers recommend?
1) Karlstejn OR Konopiste castle
2) Kutna hora and Sedlec II
3) Cesky Krumlov and Holasovice and Ceske Budejovice
4) Karlovy Vary

flpab Jul 9th, 2011 06:56 AM

http://www.dallmayr.de/ my favorite stop besides the beer halls in Munich.

annhig Jul 9th, 2011 07:01 AM

ttt 4 later.