Notices

ballykissangel -- ireland

May 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

ballykissangel -- ireland

I will be in England beginning this fall. I would like to take a side trip to Avoca, Ireland to see the town where the popular BBC/PBS show Ballykissangel was filled a number of years ago. Is it worth the side trip?
May 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I stayed in county Wicklow just to visit Avoca and it was well worth it as I'm a huge fan. I stayed in Hunter's Hotel, Rathnew and hired a taxi to take us to Avoca and come back for us. The village is just as you see it on BallyK but the pub is not the same inside. I sat outside it for over an hour. The woolen mill is worth a visit and has a great cafe. If it would be worth it for you, I can't answer.
Have a great trip.
Joan
May 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Dear Joan:
Thanks so much for your response. I loved the show too, but even mor, the town seems so beautiful. I will most likely go now. As an aside, do you know if it is possible to buy the Series 6 DVD? My husband & I were never able to watch past series 5.
Thanks!
Avalee Cohen
May 6th, 2007, 05:05 AM
ComfyShoes

I loved that show too and I don't watch more than couple hours worth of TV a week. I wish they would make more shows that are simple, human, but fun that I can watch with my kids (almost all the time) and not want to leave right away!

That town must get many tourists, I bet! Have fun over there.

May 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM

We went there about 8 years ago and loved it - it is a very sweet town and very faithful to the series in the main. They were filming the day we were there which was good. We only spent an hour or so there but was worth it. I didn't realise there was a series 6 but reading this and then the bbc website now know there is. I guess to me series 4 was the logical end point and series 5 was pushing it a bit. But loved it. Series 6 is not available on amazon - just checked.
May 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM

We were on a Cosmos tour a couple of years ago that stopped at the woolen mill, and we walked into town . It was very enjoyable and yes, you should do it.
May 6th, 2007, 12:14 PM

nanbee,

I have through the 5th season. I saw a little of the 6th season when it was on BBC. I'd love to see the end. We were in BallyK the beginning of Oct. and there were a few tour buses from England. It isn't on the tourist trail per say. Now that was 2001. I don't think there will ever be such a series again. Like Comfy shoes said, you can watch it with the whole family. Another movie you can watch with your whole family is " War of the Buttons". It's an Irish made movie filmed in Cork. I've watched it many times with my grandchildren.

Best wishes fo all you BallyK fans, Joan
May 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM

bookmarking
May 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

hi joan
thanks for the tip about "war of the buttons." what a funny title! i will see if i can find it at our public library or blockbuster. otherwise, i can probably order from the bbc catalog.
can't wait for the series 6 dvd to come out. my husband said he read somewhere that it might be distributed in 2008.
cherrio.
nanabee
May 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

nanabee,
I'll start walking more so I'll be around to see the 6th season. I hope you post when you get back from your trip and tell us how you liked Avoca.
Again have a great trip, Joan
May 8th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks joan, from everyone's advice,
i will be going in the fall to avoca, and will keep you posted. i too need to get back on my exercise schedule!
May 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM

ttt
May 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM

I was in Avoca 8 years ago but had never heard of the show. They were selling Ballykissangel souveniers in the shops and they had to tell me what it was about. Just recently in the Detroit area, PBS has shown the series from the beginning. My husband and I are big fans and now have decided we should go to Ireland to see"Fitzgeralds". So, yes, I think you would get a kick out of seeing the town!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

For those of you how haven't seen the Series 6 of Ballykissangle (we never got it on our public broadcast station)---My husband just read that the BBC is distributing the series 6 of Ballykissangle series this fall!!!!
I can't wait to see it.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

opps - they are releasing it on DVD and can be purchased thru the BBC "store."
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

We drove to Avoca a few years ago while staying with friends in Dalkey. Really, it is just a little bridge into a tiny town that consists mainly of one street (unless we missed something). Fitzgeralds was quite cozy inside--dark and with a lovely peat fire. There's a bench out front for taking your picture. We walked to the mill and found some lovely things at great prices. But, other than that and the couple of souviner stores, there wasn't anything that would keep you there for more than an hour or two.
Jun 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks melj,
it seems it will be smart to combine a trip to Avoca with other things. thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread