Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ballet after Transatlantic overnight flight? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ballet-after-transatlantic-overnight-flight-668146/)

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2007 05:53 PM

Ballet after Transatlantic overnight flight?

We arrive in Paris after a long day and night of flying, at about 9 in the morning, then immigration, customs, and trip into the city.

There is a ballet that I want to see at Opera Garnier, the last night of which is the evening of the day we arrive.

Would you do it? I am a huge ballet fan, and so seldom get to see a major company perform, especially in something that entices me. Plus, we have never been to the Opera Garnier.

More info: we aren't young, and don't sleep well on the plane. Again, would you?

rkkwan Jan 7th, 2007 05:58 PM

Yes, if you can have a nap at your hotel in the afternoon.

Toucan2 Jan 7th, 2007 05:59 PM

I would if I were you because it sounds like you really want to do it and this is something special to you.

Although I wouldn't normally suggest sleeping upon morning arrival, in this cause I would make sure you could check into your hotel when you arrive (which is likely to be before normal check in time) and then sleep. Get up and go to the ballet.

It will play a bit of havoc with quickly adjusting from your jet lag, but you'll be lively for your evening at the ballet, and get to do something you really want to do.

I hope you decide to do this!

fishee Jan 7th, 2007 06:00 PM

I did something similar in London last year and I felt nauseous by mid-performance. The jet-lag and fatigue were just making me feel ill -- I also felt a bit trapped, knowing I couldn't get up and leave easily since I didn't want to disrupt the performance.

But if I *really* wanted to see something, I'd still take the chance and hope for the best.

marcy_ Jan 7th, 2007 06:05 PM

I'd go for it!
It's a fabulous experience seeing a ballet at the Opera Garnier- even if you do nod off during part of the performance. I-)

A nap in the afternoon should help.

Apres_Londee Jan 7th, 2007 06:08 PM

Of course you should, what have you got to lose?

Go to your hotel, have a simple lunch, organize your clothes for the evening, and take a nap. Then a long hot shower or bath.

Go to the ballet and enjoy. If you love it, it's worth it. Deal with jetlag the next day.

Judy Jan 7th, 2007 06:10 PM

I, too, would definitely go for it. I usually recommend staying outdoors in the sun on the day of arrival but, given that this is the only opportunity for this performance, I'd nap and go! Enjoy....it's quite an experience.

travelhorizons Jan 7th, 2007 06:11 PM

Have your TA call your hotel and arrange for an early check-in. (Or if you booked it yourself, email the concierge and explain your situation). That way you can take a shower, have a nap, and wake up hopefully refreshed for dinner and the ballet.

OReilly Jan 7th, 2007 06:16 PM

I have done theatre the day I arrive a few times. From personal experience, the only way it can work for me is to:
- get straight to the hotel and sleep the afternoon
- drink lots of water on the flight
- take "Jet-Lag" (works for me!)
- avoid/limit alcohol
- avoid the sugary breakfast on the flight - take a protein bar instead

janisj Jan 7th, 2007 06:39 PM

I'd go for it - but be prepared to leave at the interval if you find yourself rum-dum and disturbing your seatmates w/ your snoring :)

I have taken in a show or concert the first night - but always under special circumstances like it being the last performance, or only seat available etc.

It is NOT easy but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

One first night, I had front row seats to see Maggie Smith in the Lady in the Van -- LOVE Alan Bennett, LOVE Maggie Smith -- but even that didn't help me stay awake. The first act was soooooo miserable. I kept jerking my head up just as starting to doze off - about gor whiplash. But I stepped outside for some air at the interval and was much better in the 2nd act.

Even if the ballet wasn't one of your favorites - the Opera Garnier is sooooo gorgeous!

Marc_David_Miller Jan 7th, 2007 06:40 PM

I've done this many times, albeit only from New York (I saw Götterdämmerung after flying coach from NY to Budapest, and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg after flying coach NY-Moscow-St Petersburg--both are each over five hours long!). Many of our clients land in St Petersburg and Moscow and have a performance or dinner that same evening. I also know that if I don't rest, either during the flight or during the afternoon before the performance, it is for me a wasted evening.

Like others suggested, I would call the hotel and see about an early check in; if they couldn't guarantee it, I would pay for another night to guarantee the room's availability. If you can't sleep well on a plane you probably will be very, very tired and

Marc_David_Miller Jan 7th, 2007 06:42 PM

[sorry for deleted end]

and will feel frustrated at missing a wonderful evening.

FauxSteMarie Jan 7th, 2007 06:43 PM

I do agree with all the others that not napping will ensure you fall asleep during the ballet. Personally, I probably wouldn't do this on the day I land, but it is doable.

Christina Jan 7th, 2007 07:03 PM

no, I'd never do that, it sounds like torture to me. However, I can see plenty of ballet in other cities, including where I live, including those of international top companies. If it were something really important to me, I would have changed my dates one day instead, to accommodate it. In fact, I frequently plan my vacations around performances, but I do that before rather than after making the reservations.

yk Jan 7th, 2007 07:07 PM

I've gone to operas and plays on the day of arrival. Like others said, a nap is a must. And by that I mean: 3-4 hours of sleep, not a 1-hr nap. Even with the nap, I'd imagine you will still doze off at some point during the performance.

LoveItaly Jan 7th, 2007 07:49 PM

Hi tuscanlifeedit, I did that one time in Italy. I arrived after a long flight from SFO and a friend unbeknownest to me had obtained tickets for a concert that night. I sort of went into a panic mode if the truth be known. But I was able to get a couple of hours sleep, took a long hot shower and actually really enjoyed the concert. It was beautiful and I really relaxed. I didn't go over to their house afterwards as they suggested. I did sleep about 12 hours that night.

I don't know about you but I get more bothered by jetlag flying east to west versus west to east.

I would go to the ballet. If you can get your room before the normal checkin time that would be a great help. I wouldn't overeat or have more than one glass of wine on the day of arrival..think that can make one sleepy after a long flight. Best wishes.

Travelnut Jan 7th, 2007 07:56 PM

One way to ensure you have a room upon arrival is to ask to pay for the night before.

Graziella5b Jan 8th, 2007 12:56 AM

I shall go for it. A good nap. I know sometimes you can be very excited, but you can have a good bath and a good lunch with some wine and I feel you will rest. Good luck. Go for it.

Toupary Jan 8th, 2007 01:19 AM

I would go for it. I find that, even with normal check-in, that leaves time for a 2-3 hour nap. I did it in London a couple of years ago, and after napping, felt ready for the evening.

beaupeep Jan 8th, 2007 04:39 AM

I would do it - you can have jet lag when you get back home! I live in Switzerland and visit my family in Boston at least twice a year and nearly every time that I get back here I head right to my office from the airport when I land in the morning, work the entire day, go home and have dinner and go to bed at around 11:00 or so and am right back on my normal schedule/routine.