COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bakewell to Edinburgh with some sightseeing. What do you think??

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

We are in the process of re-booking our holiday after we had to cancel back in September and cancel everything. We are going to stay with our itinery but use this as an opportunity to do some minor details. After our Bakewell stop (3 days) we were going to go to Alnwick overnight and then onto Edinburgh (my cousin lives in Alnwick) but now I am looking at going up the A6 and go straight to Edinburgh via Carlisle see a bit of the Lake district, maybe some of Hadrians Wall or go via A6 but via Melrose and stop and visit some places.
Doing this will allow us an extra day and as we were going to stop in Alnwick for another day anyway after Edinburgh we could stay 2 days instead of splitting our time. We are onto York after Alnwick.

Any advice? Thanks Deb
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM

definitely - as long as you are going through Alnwick latere on anyway. When is the new trip planned? Might make a difference.

But in general - detouring from Carlisle to the east to see a bit of the Wall and then back up through the Borders would be a great addition. I'd use the A7 to travel to the Borders and then A68 on to Edinburgh. Or, if you went farther east along the wall, you could take the A68 all the way from Northumberland.

The Lakes are wonderful of course - but me personally, Hadrian's Wall and the Borders would be my choice

If you had 3 days to devote to the Lakes I might choose that instead, but just to drive through in a day - I'd prefer exploring the wall.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janis isn't it late for you? I am assuming your in the Uk. Anyway we are travelling in June, 16th June we will be on our way. I have gone the route planner but I am trying to work out what is the best way to go and to see. So your response is very helpful.

thanks Deb
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Nope - it is quite early for me -- I'm in California

In June you will have daylight on your side for sure. The forts along Hadrian's wall and the Border Abbey's have opening hours but the wall and the general scenery don't. It will be daylight until very late so if you have a night to play w/ you can see a LOT in the two days. If you don't mind long driving days you actually could still be out and hiking/walking until around 10 p.m.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

California eh. I have notice you know heaps in regards to the UK. Glad you do, prevent people like me spoiling a good trip.
We are actually looking at doing the 2 days coming down from Edinburgh and having the 1 day going up. But like you say plenty of daylight. Just need to ensure that if we want to visit places that do have closing times to take that into consideration. O.k I feel alot more confidant now and yes I would want to take a few days in the lake district rather then a hit and run. I loveeeeee history especially english so the alternative is better.

Thank you very much. Keep up the good work.

Deb
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Just to put you at ease - I may be a Californian, but I lived in the UK for 5 years and go back all the time. My suggestions are mostly based on my first-hand experiences.

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

I can see Janis you know your stuff. Thanks.