Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como - Villa Leonardo anyone stayed here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Lake Como in Sept. this year. We will be 3 couples. The Villa we like so far is Villa Leonardo

http://www.lakecomohomes.com/display...ty.aspx?p=385#

Has anyone stayed here? Are the bedrooms ensuite? How was the location? We will have rental cars. Anytips for Lake Como restaurants, etc would be wonderful. Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM

Yes, I have stayed there. We were a group of seven.

Bedroom #1 is the master on the main floor downstairs (images #8 and 9 on the website you referenced), with an en-suite bathroom (image #11). The living room, DR, kitchen, dinette, etc., are also on this floor. There is also a half bath off the foyer.

Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms. BR #2 (image #10) has a double bed. A short distance down a hall is a full bath (image #12), with a small (by American standards) shower and no tub. Next to BR #2 and between it and the bath is BR #3 (image #15) with a single bed. Thus, BR's #2 and 3 share the same bath. If I remember correctly, one has to pass through BR #2 to get to BR #3. Fortunately, we didn't have anyone staying in BR #3.

Also upstairs is BR #5 with twin joinable beds (no image), BR #4 with a single bed (image #14), and a full bath (shower only, no image) with separate entrance that BR's #4 and 5 use.

There are laundry facilities in the basement.

There is a steep driveway extending down to the villa from the SS 340. There are parking spaces for 3 cars, 2 next to each other and the 3rd extending perpendicularly toward the main entrance. With 3 cars, it's a little tricky to maneuver out of the gate at the villa, but no big deal. To head south onto the 340 at the top of the driveway requires a very acute left turn and waiting for a safe gap in the traffic. North is easy.

The location is very convenient to spots north (Lenno, Bellagio, etc.) and south (Como). Isola Comacina (north) is very close and a recommended site for lunch or dinner (Locanda dell'Isola Comacina). There is also at least one nice restaurant in Sala Comacina.

While there is a ferry stop in Argegno, connections there are fairly limited, and a car (and usually then a ferry) is definitely recommended.

We ate at La Piazzetta in Argegno several times. The food and service were great and the price reasonable. We also ate at Ristorante Crotto dei Platani in Brienno (a few miles south of Argegno). The food and service were outstanding, though it was pretty pricey.

Overall, we were pleased with our stay at Villa Leonardo. It was clean, and the views are great. We had some issues with heating and something not working in the laundry room, but they were addressed quickly by Happy Holiday Homes (Lake Como Homes). Be aware that there is no air conditioning, but you probably won't need it in September.

I would not hesitate to ask Lake Como Homes any questions you might have. A lot of the information I gave above was given to me after enquiring of them. They contacted the owner to get some of this info.

Good luck!
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NoleNomad, this is great information. One more question in picture 11, the master bath is that a shower? We must have a shower in the master ensuite. thanks again.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 06:13 PM

txhomes,

I did not use the master bath, but I spoke with my brother-in-law who did. There is a seating area, which I think is what you see in the photo. Not in the picture is a full-sized tub/shower combo. So, yes, there is a shower.

I should also point out that we had an issue with insufficiently hot water during our stay. It was addressed by the rental company, but I don't think it was ever ideal. You might want to check on this with them if you are seriously considering the villa.

As you have probably found, there are not very many, reasonably-priced lakeside villas on Lake Como that will accommodate 3 or more couples. Villa Leonardo would work well for your 3 couples (each with their own shower), with the caveats that I mention above.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you have been so helpful.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM

You are welcome, txhomes. Enjoy your trip!