Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   baguette sandwiches, jambon et fromage, in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/baguette-sandwiches-jambon-et-fromage-in-paris-596745/)

sandypaws3 Mar 6th, 2006 07:13 AM

baguette sandwiches, jambon et fromage, in Paris

My husband has said that we don't eat enough sandwiches on baguettes -- jambon et fromage. He would rather have those than a fancy meal. Now, I know you can buy them in lots of places, but also that some are not as fresh as others. What is your favorite place to have the baguette sandwiches in Paris?

Sandy

Michael Mar 6th, 2006 07:28 AM

Almost any boulangerie will sell sandwiches made on its own bread. They tend to be better than what you get in a café.

ira Mar 6th, 2006 07:32 AM

Hi S,

Ditto Michael.

You don't have to limit yourself to ham and cheese. There are lots of varieties.

((I))

cocofromdijon Mar 6th, 2006 07:48 AM

you're right ira, there is also chicken mayonnaise and lettuce! ~:> yum!

dwzemens Mar 6th, 2006 07:51 AM

Saving this for my upcoming trip .....

- dwz

wco81 Mar 6th, 2006 07:54 AM

First time I went to Paris in the early '90s, all you saw were ham with buttered baguettes and they charged like 10-15 francs for those.

I don't remember seeing the Pauls type of boulangeries back then.

Few if any would put stuff like lettuce, tomatoes, etc. I thought Togos would clean up if they opened there, because who wouldn't prefer more of the "crudites" on their sandwiches?

One of the best sandwiches I've had anywhere was at this bakery somewhere in the Loire. Can't remember which chateau it was near but the bread was perfect and the type of mayo they used was creamy with all the fixings.

sandi_travelnut Mar 6th, 2006 08:07 AM

There was a little sandwhich stand right next door to our hotel (Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche) on St. Jacques that had sausage (salami)and butter baguette sandwiches. Sounds strange I know but they were quite good.

blackduff Mar 6th, 2006 08:10 AM

Try the jambon/fromage sandwich at the Cafe de la Paix. This is right on the corner on the place Opera. Come outside from the metro and you're right in front.

This is a great place to have the sandwich and a glass of something to drink. Then just watch the people walk by your table.

It's a great place to rest your feet and have good sites.

http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/h/ad?ty.../;interactif=1

Blackduff

kerouac Mar 6th, 2006 08:11 AM

I have usually found that the best baguette sandwiches are made by cafés, because they are made fresh as you order them, unlike boulangeries like Paul where they have a stock already prepared. Otherwise, there is a sandwich chain called "Pomme de Pain" which makes the sandwiches fresh in front of you.

blackduff Mar 6th, 2006 08:18 AM

I tried to put the URL for a photo of the Cafe de la Paix but it's too big for the board.

http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/

This is a good website which shows lots of places in Paris. You might find this fun to find your hotel. It's good to determine which your area is planned.

Blackduff

francophile03 Mar 6th, 2006 08:18 AM

Hi, you'll notice the various types of freshly made sandwiches in the boulangeries close to lunchtime. I've had really good luck purchasing sandwiches from them. The ham and cheese sandwiches are simple yet very tasty. It makes an excellent, inexpensive meal costing around 3.50 euro or so.

Travelnut Mar 6th, 2006 08:57 AM

I also enjoy the little quiches and they will warm them in the oven for you...

SAnParis Mar 6th, 2006 09:11 AM

There is a little shop as you turn up the Champs d'Elysee towards the Arc. You have to go inside, but they do have take-away. I don't recall the name , but we always stop there as we stroll towards the Arc.

Scarlett Mar 6th, 2006 09:15 AM

The little pastry shop on rue de Buci, the windows are full of tarts and cakes, they will make a fresh sandwich for you..lovely :)

sandypaws3 Mar 6th, 2006 10:03 AM

Thanks to all for the great suggestions for bagette sandwiches in Paris! Ira, I'll keep in mind that there are more varieties than just ham & cheese :-) Michael & francophile, I'll check out the boulangeries. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that Gerard Mulot had some good looking sandwiches, but at the time, we were focusing on the Pain Chocolat. blackduff, glad to know that Cafe de la Paix has those sandwiches. I've been trying to find their menu online, with no success. sandi, I've noted the location of your hotel... close to Saint-Severin :-) Scarlett, I've probably been past the little pastry shop on the rue de Buci many time. I'll pay closer attention next time! I'll add one we want to try to the list -- , near Place des Abbesses. I found it on the food blog, Chocolat & Zucchini, though on this page she doesn't mention the sandwiches, only the bread:

Coquelicot
24 rue des Abbesses 75018
Tel: 01 46 06 18 77

http://tinyurl.com/pdmqz

Sandy

otto Mar 6th, 2006 11:06 AM

i don't leave paris w/out a jambon et fromage. (and an orangina). sometimes i even take it on the plane, and at least once i've enjoyed it on the flight, as they were out of my meal choice! ;-) any and every block has a cafe, or brasserie that has these baguettes, and your that close to heaven!

Indygirl2 Mar 6th, 2006 11:34 AM

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but the sandwiches at Cosi are very good. The bread isn't a baguette per se, but it is tasty and the ingredients are very fresh. There are various locations, but I go to the one at 64 rue de Seine in the 6eme. It seems to be pretty popular with the locals, which I take as a good sign.

Kate

sandypaws3 Mar 6th, 2006 01:52 PM

Indygirl,
Thanks, but he's really looking for the sandwiches on a baguette :-)We love Cosi, though, and we eat at the same one you do. My favorite is the one with fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes... mmmmm! We were very happy to find out that Chicago has several locations, not by the same owner, but trained by him. Not exactly the same, but good. It seems to me that the ones in Paris are just a little bigger, but I get the same sandwich. Makes me feel like I'm in Paris :-)

Sandy

mvor Mar 6th, 2006 02:03 PM

Sandy, your Cosi sandwich is usually the first thing I eat in Paris followed by a little chocolate something from Gérard Mulot. I am so hungry reading this thread and I have months before I'll be back in Paris. (I'm going to Chicago in April so maybe I'll pretend too.) Enjoy your trip~

Madison Mar 6th, 2006 02:23 PM

I had one at Paul's near Notre Dame. Although, they had some already made up, it was delicious just the same. I've noticed that several places have some prepared ahead of time.

I also had one at the Rue Cler Market that was also very good.