Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bags at risk during a 6 hr. layover? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bags-at-risk-during-a-6-hr-layover-591774/)

Amy40 Feb 16th, 2006 04:42 PM

Bags at risk during a 6 hr. layover?

I just read through the "To Lock or Not To Lock" thread and I figure I'll use the wire ties....but...I am wondering about what kind of risk of theft I expose my luggage to while it sits for six hours in Atlanta awaiting my flight to Paris. Yes, yes, I bring all my valuables and meds and such in my carry-on, but honestly if something gets stolen, I'll be at a loss since I tend to pack the bare minimum. In fact, I'm only asking this question because I just about never check luggage. I am compelled to for this trip because it may be cold where I'm going and the bulkier clothing just won't fit into a carry-on. I also may leave the Atlanta airport for a visit to the High Museum since six hours at ATL with my family does not sound like a picnic! Schlepping my luggage to the museum doesn't sound fun either... (sigh) So, if it sits for six hours, is it easy pickin's?

barbmike Feb 16th, 2006 04:51 PM

If you're that paranoid, simply store it in a baggage locker if such a place is available. Have a nice trip!!! Mike

ira Feb 17th, 2006 08:05 AM

Hi Amy,

>I am wondering about what kind of risk of theft I expose my luggage to while it sits for six hours in Atlanta awaiting my flight to Paris.<

It is more likely to be lost than burgled.

((I))

Gardyloo Feb 17th, 2006 08:13 AM

1. If the airline will let you check it, check it. If it's lost or stolen, then it's their responsibility, not yours.

2. If you're arriving six hours early for some reason, what is it?

3. If your six hours is between flights, then your bags should have been checked through to CDG on your initial flight, and you won't see them at ATL.

4. There's a luggage storage facility opposite the Delta bag claim.

5. They sell things in Paris.

Intrepid1 Feb 17th, 2006 08:50 AM

IMO Gardyloo has summed it up perfectly.

Now, if we can just keep this thing from becoming an alternate selection in the Oprah Book Club.....

Amy40 Feb 17th, 2006 02:18 PM

Well Mike, thanks for that suggestion. I seriously doubt they have lockers at Atlanta but maybe I'm wrong. I think Gardyloo's point about not seeing the bags is correct. I guess we could carry on bags and then stow them in a locker before going to the museum. Yes, I am a bit paranoid, but after reading the threads on locks, it's hard not to have this cross my mind. And I've been burned before, a long time ago in Mexico.

Thanks ira. Can always count on you to shoot straight. (I'm taking a print-out of part of your last trip report with me, btw!)

Gardyloo, 1. You're absolutely right, but I don't care who's responsibility it is. It's not a PITA for the airline...just for me.

2. Six hours because they're FF tickets originating in a small city with fewer flights to ATL. Waitlisted for a better schedule, but who knows?

3. Yes, I know I won't see them in ATL. That's why I'm wondering if I should strive for carry-on.

4. If we do take carry-on on the short hop, are you saying we can leave the bags in some kind of secured place with Delta while escaping the airport? Tell me more, please!

5. I'll be in the Aveyron, not Paris. But even if I were, shopping for clothes isn't high up there on my must-do list. And besides, my proportions are more American than French.

Intrepid1, if this thread gets to be too much for you, just step away from the keyboard. There, there. Very gently. Yes, you can do it. ;-)

suze Feb 17th, 2006 03:32 PM

I don't understand why you are more worried about theft because of a long layover. Once your bags are checked, they are checked... out of your sight. Sure anything could happen, but I don't think more or less because there happens to be a layover. I'm not following the logic. Why is it more "easy pickin's" than any other time it is out of your hands.

Amy40 Feb 17th, 2006 04:00 PM

I have this idea that the bags will be kept in some holding area, waiting for equipment to arrive. When connections are closer, the bags are almost constantly on the move and perhaps therefore less likely to be a target. Not unlike when one's luggage makes an earlier connection than the passenger and then sits, relatively untended, outside the office in the baggage claim area. Whenever I see those rows of suitcases lined up waiting for their owners, I am glad mine isn't among them. Since they no longer check claim checks, it seems like it would be pretty easy for someone to take their choice. I know that example does not illustrate my original question, but it points to the general lack of security when we turn our things over to the airlines. It takes a certain leap of faith, as do most things when we travel, admittedly. None of this is so much of an issue that I am willing to stop travelling (or start Oprah's Alternate Selection!), but I was hoping to get just a little insight/education on the matter. Believe me, I spend much more time thinking about hotels, museums and restaurants.

Gardyloo Feb 17th, 2006 04:59 PM

I'm assuming you're flying on Delta from Atlanta to Paris (although this pretty much applies to Air France too.)

I don't know if Delta is fully containerized in their 777 ops but I'm guessing that given the size of their Atlanta base your bags are handled very little by humans once they there. The bar code on the bag tag, combined with conveyor systems and baggage container units (aka "igloos") really reduces the handling of the bags; and given the heightened security/inspection/x-ray of luggage nowadays, I think the prospects of your bag being left "lying around" are between slim and none. Chain of custody is a big, big deal with the airlines since 9/11. Keeping track of your carry-on is much more difficult what with people ready to pounce on anything left "unattended" in an airport environment.

Amy40 Feb 17th, 2006 05:55 PM

Thank you Gardyloo. You assume correctly. Didn't know about the igloos and that is exactly the info I was looking for here. I will check and relax.

Gardyloo Feb 17th, 2006 06:47 PM

Note I'm not positive that Delta uses igloos on their 777s, but I still wouldn't worry if I were you.

ira Feb 18th, 2006 03:38 AM

Hi amy,

>4. If we do take carry-on on the short hop, are you saying we can leave the bags in some kind of secured place with Delta while escaping the airport? Tell me more, please!<

Information on where you can eave carryon luggage is at http://tinyurl.com/7e4uy

((I))

Luisah Feb 18th, 2006 07:33 AM

I asked the TSA agent when I checked my bags in Florida on the way to Italy -- through Atlanta (four-hour layover) -- if I could use the TSA lock and he said yes, going to Europe, but not returning. I locked my luggage and did have a notice in it that it had been opened by TSA. It was locked when I got it in Rome, so it had been opened and relocked.

If you think about it, this makes sense. Your luggage is checked for security in the country from which you depart. Use your ties on the way back, not going.

If you have doubts about this call TSA and ask.

Luisah Feb 18th, 2006 08:59 AM

I should have written TSA-approved lock. When you return to Atlanta you will need to get your luggage, go through customs and then recheck it to your home airport. You can put your TSA-approved lock on for the last leg.

Margot Feb 18th, 2006 09:54 AM

We once had a long layover on a flight to Italy, and our luggage (soft-sided) sat on a cart, or on the tarmac, for hours. When we arrived at the hotel, all of the clothing I had carefully ironed and folded was soaked. But... I'd rather have wet clothing than nothing! The airline took responsibility and footed the bill for the hotel to launder and dry clean all of our clothing (I remember it cost over $300).