Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bagno Vignoni in Tuscany - quite the delight! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bagno-vignoni-in-tuscany-quite-the-delight-246871/)

Marla Aug 7th, 2002 07:56 AM

Bagno Vignoni in Tuscany - quite the delight!

I just returned from 10 days in Tuscany, which was really not enough time to see all the towns we wanted to. Although I have so many stories, I really wanted to thank the people on this board that have posted about the town of Bagno Vignoni. This town was not listed in many books and was quite the gem and highlight of our trip.<BR><BR>Bagno Vignoni is a town with natural hot springs running through it. It was in a beautiful section of Tuscany and from our base there we were able to see Siena, Montalcino, Pienza, and the beaches of Castiglione della Pescaia- all within less than an hour drives. It is located less than 15 minutes from Montalcino and Pienza. The entire town only has 30 residents, but many international (and Italian) tourists come through to enjoy the springs and charm of the town. We stayed at the Posta Marcucci which had a huge pool filled with natural spring water which was so therapeutic and refreshing after a crazy day of sightseeing. You can pay to use this pool even if you are not a guest of hotel. We loved the Restaurant La Parata and instead of ordering from menu, asked the chef's wife (who is English) to tell her Italian husband to go crazy and make us anything. We adored her wine selections also. This town was a pleasure to return to each evening to relax in and have a fine dinner.<BR><BR>I highly recommend either staying here or stopping in for the afternoon for lunch and a dip in the springs.

Jim Aug 7th, 2002 09:08 AM

We also stayed there last month and enjoyed the hotel and their restaurant.<BR>Unfortunately, they are fearful about the drop in the mineral springs feeding this pool. The waterfall going into the pool has become much smaller.<BR>The pool as you mentioned, is public until 6p.m.-Then reverts exclusively to the hoetel guests.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 7th, 2002 10:42 AM

Marla, I knew you would like it. The village is unique but the location is fabulous. Many of my best photos came from a 20 mile radius of Bagno. I was amazed how popular the Posta Marcucci has become--it has many regulars from year to year. A great base to explore the Val d' Orcia.

Marla Aug 7th, 2002 11:34 AM

Thank you BOB!!! We actually made friends with a few Italian couples from other locales in Italy that return to Bagno Vignoni area every summer. The Italians we met stayed at agurturismo's outside of town, but dined at La Parata each and every night. we loved this restaurant and ate dinner twice, but returned every evening for a drink or two before bed to see our new friends. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion- what a great town and fabulous hotel.

Jim Aug 12th, 2002 06:29 AM

Received an email yesterday from Posta Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni stating that they will be shutting down on Setember 30th. due to the problems maintaining mineral spring levels. Hope to start up again in April but things seem to be in a state of Flux. Hope things work out.

sandi Aug 12th, 2002 06:49 AM

I stayed at the other hotel, La Terme, because Posta Marcucci was full. Did you see the ancient Roman bath that's still there, full of steaming water? It's spectacular. Also, you can see the original aqueducts the Roman built and you can follow it to the cliffs edge when the water spills over. It's amazing.

Suzy Aug 12th, 2002 02:58 PM

What a shame,<BR>My family have been there many times.<BR>I hope this is temperary

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 12th, 2002 03:18 PM

wow--bad news. That would be a shame.